ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Queue manager interconnection between non-friendly networks

Queue manager interconnection between non-friendly networks « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
send2r
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Queue manager interconnection between non-friendly networks Reply with quote

We have following situation.
Vendor A, 'Company' or Us, Vendor B

We have contracts between Vendor A and Vendor B and so both parties can communicate with us (company) over certain dedicated lines.
Now, vendor A wants to send an MQ message to Vendor B. No contract for network communicaiton exists between these to vendors and so they can not see the queue manager hosts/ports etc.
What I proposed is to host a queue manager server in our network so that vendor A can send message to Us, that will eventually go to vendor B through remote queues/channels
What some other group is proposing is to simply add network routing rules in our network so that MQ traffic from Vendor A to Us goes to Vendor B and MQ traffic from Vendor B to Us goes to Vendor A

Out of these two, which is the best approach? any reasons
I support MQ based approach as there is clarity as to where exactly the messages are going
Thanks in advance.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Queue manager interconnection between non-friendly netwo Reply with quote

Poobah

send2r wrote:
What some other group is proposing is to simply add network routing rules in our network so that MQ traffic from Vendor A to Us goes to Vendor B and MQ traffic from Vendor B to Us goes to Vendor A.

If I understand this correctly, the other group intends to program the router (switch) to examine each inbound network flows from A (A's ipaddress), and if the data look like WMQ messages, then the messages will be forwarded to B.

Do you already have WMQ? Do you already have WMQ channels to and from A and B? If so, let your qmgrs move the messages through your WMQ as a hub. Moving messages is what WMQ does for a living.

My .02 USD.

send2r wrote:
I support MQ based approach as there is clarity as to where exactly the messages are going

WMQ also provides store-and-forward, channel error-retry, and other good stuff. Moving messages is what WMQ does for a living.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Queue manager interconnection between non-friendly netwo Reply with quote

Poobah

send2r wrote:

What I proposed is to host a queue manager server in our network so that vendor A can send message to Us, that will eventually go to vendor B through remote queues/channels

What some other group is proposing is to simply add network routing rules in our network so that MQ traffic from Vendor A to Us goes to Vendor B and MQ traffic from Vendor B to Us goes to Vendor A

What's the difference between these 2 methods? In both cases MQ traffic goes thru your company on its way between vendors.

Either way, you are taking on the role of traffic cop....and the responsibility of insuring one vendor doesn't impact the other negatively via MQ thru your company. Lots of ways that can happen...is your company prepared for this responsibility? The argument "I was just forwarding you what they sent me!" may not fly.
send2r
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses

@PeterPotkay - the difference is that in second approach we do not have an MQ server in our network
I thought having MQ server in our network will keep it clear in the sense that vendor A will always know where they are/need to send message as there is no communication contract between vendor A & B.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

send2r wrote:
Thanks for your responses

@PeterPotkay - the difference is that in second approach we do not have an MQ server in our network
I thought having MQ server in our network will keep it clear in the sense that vendor A will always know where they are/need to send message as there is no communication contract between vendor A & B.

As Peter has alluded, either way you are assuming a big responsibility and is something your legal department should be looking at very closely as I would think the expectation of both vendor parties will be 24/7 availability of network let alone no WMQ issues.

If you go down the WMQ route I would think some considerations should be:

1. Charging - if you need initial/additional licensing;
2. Complexity - if customer expectation is 24/7, a High-Availability solution would be required, and of course DR;
3. Compartmentalisation - the routing queue manager may need ring-fencing on non-shared infrastructure;
4. Minimisation - very low XMITQ depths and no DLQ to ensure any backwash stays on the vendor infrastructure;
5. Security - OAM, SSL etc.

There are many more...
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Also, what happens if Vendor A starts talking to Vendor B using your network about stuff that has nothing to do with their relationship to you?

It's not at all clear why they want to do this, it seems a bit odd. I would expect that they would just talk to you directly , and then each other directly if they needed to.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

If this connectivity is required, and it can be accomplished without MQ, I would slowly step backwards out of the room and keep a low profile. The fewer things involved inside your company as the data flows between these 2 companies the fewer ways your company can get blamed for when (not if) things go wrong.

Such a peculiar request...but then again we don't know all the details or even what line of business your company is in. Maybe providing B2Me2B connectivity is what y'all do...
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Queue manager interconnection between non-friendly netwo Reply with quote

Poobah

send2r wrote:
Out of these two, which is the best approach?

Either of these two approaches are satisfactory technical solutions.

The company I came from provided this type of service to A and B while we were in the merger/acquisition process. We did not provide this service to entities that were not part of the merger/acquisition.

It seems that your organization is looking to get into the 'common carrier' business. Providing this type of service to A and B will require carefully constructed contracts that identify rights and responsibilities of all parties. And, there are laws that affect 'common carriers'.

What will be the liability of your organization if a message between A/B is lost? Or duplicated? Or delayed?

Refer this request to the lawyers.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Queue manager interconnection between non-friendly netwo Reply with quote

Grand Master

bruce2359 wrote:
What will be the liability of your organization if a message between A/B is lost? Or duplicated? Or delayed?

Or what if the messages represent illegal collusion between competitors?

bruce2359 wrote:
Refer this request to the lawyers.
ramires
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

It can also be a opportunity to offer a "service" for free, moving messages from A to B and vice-versa, and in a later moment start charging each byte

MQ can do it, it uses the store and forward approach, its a standard, its reliable, its simple (can also be complex...). You need to invest money so you need to add a value to justify a qmgr in the middle: for example if vendor B is not online, messages from vendor A can wait on your xmit queue (you need space) until B came online again

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Queue manager interconnection between non-friendly networks
Jump to: