ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE is piling messages

SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE is piling messages « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
faiz
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE is piling messages Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a basic question about how clustering and syncpoint works.

I have two Queue Managers QM1 and QM2 and they are both part of a cluster. I have defined a Queue Q2 which is local to QM2 and part of the cluster. I have another Queue Q1 which is a local queue to QM1.

Here is my scenario.

When I put messages to Q1 and Q2 as part of the same unit of work everything works fine. When I put disable Q2 on QM2. My application is still able to put messages to Q1 and Q2 as part of the same unit of work. I noticed since I have put disabled Q2 the unit of work did not rollback. Also the message intended for Q2 is sitting in the SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE.

Now when I put enable Q2 on QM2 the message is still sitting on the SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRASMIT.QUEUE and any further messages to Q1 and Q2 are being sent correctly as part of the same unit of work.

I have two questions now
1) When I put disabled Q2 on QM2 shoudln't the unit of work rollback.
2) When I put enabled Q2 on QM2 shouldn't the piled up messages on SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE be delivered to Q2 on QM2

Thanks
mqonnet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Here are your answers.
1) Why do you think that the UOW should be rolled back if you put disabled a queue. Consider the same scenario on a local queue. When you put to a local queue with syncpoint under a UOW, and the queue is put disabled. Then it is the put that fails with 2051. It has nothing to do with the UOW the application started to do this put. UOW is backed out only if there is some thing wrong with the transaction or transaction manager. But since the PUT itself failed, the message would not land up on the local queue. Coming back to your scenario of clustering. You would expect the earlier result in this case too. And which is, NO message anywhere. But you have to bear in mind that clustering tries to use the algorithm to try and put the message first to the local instance of a queue, if available. If there is not, or there is an error, it would try to put it onto the next available anywhere within the cluster. And since it tried but did not find any such reference, it stayed in the CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE. My 2 cents of reasoning.
2) The message that stays on CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE reached that queue because of an error, as per my previous explaination. And hence it stays there forever and never gets transmitted. As it does not know where Q2 is present other than the local qm.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
kumar
faiz
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you response.
Isnt there any retry logic for messages stuck in SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE

Thanks

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE is piling messages
Jump to: