ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » "Twice-removed" queue

"Twice-removed" queue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Pringle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: "Twice-removed" queue Reply with quote

Novice

Hi there,

A user of our software is having trouble connecting to a remote queue which is itself defined as a remote queue to another queue manager. Are there any special settings that need to be set to make this possible when connecting from a client using the .net API?

Here is the code that we are using to open the connection:

Code:

Hashtable props = new Hashtable();

if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(_sslKeyStorePath))
{
   props.Add(MQC.SSL_CERT_STORE_PROPERTY, _sslKeyStorePath);
   props.Add(MQC.SSL_CIPHER_SPEC_PROPERTY, _sslCipherType);
}

props.Add(MQC.CHANNEL_PROPERTY, _channel);
props.Add(MQC.HOST_NAME_PROPERTY, _machineName);
props.Add(MQC.PORT_PROPERTY, _port);

mQM = new MQQueueManager(_queueManager, props);

if (write)
{
   mQ = mQM.AccessQueue(_queueName, MQC.MQOO_OUTPUT | MQC.MQOO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING | MQC.MQOO_SET_ALL_CONTEXT);
}
else
{
   mQ = mQM.AccessQueue(_queueName, MQC.MQOO_INPUT_AS_Q_DEF | MQC.MQOO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING | MQC.MQOO_BROWSE | MQC.MQOO_INQUIRE);
}

Please only respond if you have anything useful to add, no "rtfm" comments please. Links to specific parts of the documentation that might help would be appreciated though.

Anyone leaving rtfm comments will come down with a terrible cold within a fortnight!

Any help would be massively appreciated!!
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Exactly what problem are you having?
Pringle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Sorry I forgot to mention, the error returned is MQRC_OPTION_NOT_VALID_FOR_TYPE.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Twice-removed" queue Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Pringle wrote:
Anyone leaving rtfm comments will come down with a terrible cold within a fortnight!

You'll find the error clearly documented in the InfoCenter.

(I just wanted to call your bluff).
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Pringle wrote:
Sorry I forgot to mention, the error returned is MQRC_OPTION_NOT_VALID_FOR_TYPE.

So do not connect in input mode. You cannot read any messages from that queue.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Pringle wrote:

The error's fairly clear and is explained here.

(Do I now get a cold in a week?)

In summary, the code's trying to use an option that doesn't apply to a remote queue; typically browse or inquire. This may be from the interface layer rather than user written code. Check the object definitions.
Pringle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks for the advice given so far. However I have built a new version of the software having removed the input and inquire options, but the client is still reporting failure. I am calling AccessQueue with the following option now:

Code:

mQ = mQM.AccessQueue(mQueueData.QueueName, MQC.MQOO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING);

Based upon that link you provided, and the fact I am now only setting the above option, is it most likely down to the following paragraph:

Quote:

This reason code can also occur on the MQOPEN call when the object being opened is of type MQOT_NAMELIST, MQOT_PROCESS, or MQOT_Q_MGR, but the ObjectQMgrName field in MQOD is neither blank nor the name of the local queue manager.

I don't have access to the queue myself, what is the easiest way to establish in code whether the object being opened is of type MQOT_NAMELIST, MQOT_PROCESS, or MQOT_Q_MGR?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You need to make sure that they have *not* set any value in your _queueManager field and then make sure that they *have* set the *correct* value in your _queueName field.
Pringle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I have tried this latest piece of advice, but to no avail. They are now seeing the following error code when leaving the queue manager field blank: MQC.MQRC_Q_MGR_NAME_ERROR

Are there some other properties I also need to set, and/or is there a special syntax for the *correct* queue name when not naming a queue manager?
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You are opening a remote queue for INPUT or BROWSE (as well as for OUTPUT).

It won't work!!!

Irrelevant where the remote queue points to, or how many hops.

However it is possible to avoid the double remote queue definitions by specifying the final QM as the remote queue manager name, and the intermediate QM as the XMIT queue name (in the first remote queue def).
Pringle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I am now opening the remote queue using MQC.MQOO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING only. Then I followed the advice to leave the queue manager name blank, which didn't work.

I will try to get them to type in the final queue manager name rather than the intermediate one...however how do I set the XMIT queue name in code? It doesn't seem to be a property of the MQC enumeration when setting the properties on the queue manager. I was hoping to see a nice XMIT_QM_NAME_PROPERTY alongside HOST_NAME_PROPERTY etc.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Set only a queue name in the code (from an external config source of course),

Set the remote QM name and XMIT queue name in the remote queue definition (the name of which is the queue name used above.).
Pringle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

The only properties we are currently exposing in the UI for client configuration are:

Channel name
    Host name
    Port
    Queue name
    Queue manager name

So should all the above be blank except queue name? How will the WebSphere client know what machine to connect to?

The client has sent me a screenshot of their remote queue definition. On it I can see a property called Transmission Queue, which I take it is the XMIT property you are referring to. They have set the value of this property to the same as the Remote QMgr Name property. Is that correct, as you seem to imply it should be queue name not the queue manager name?

If I do still need to set the host name, does that need to be the host name of the intermediate remote queue or the final target queue?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Pringle wrote:
I am now opening the remote queue using MQC.MQOO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING only. Then I followed the advice to leave the queue manager name blank, which didn't work.

I will try to get them to type in the final queue manager name rather than the intermediate one...however how do I set the XMIT queue name in code? It doesn't seem to be a property of the MQC enumeration when setting the properties on the queue manager. I was hoping to see a nice XMIT_QM_NAME_PROPERTY alongside HOST_NAME_PROPERTY etc.

You need to also open the queue for output....
Pringle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

With the queue manager name blank though? The code is failing before the call to AccessQueue; it's failing on instantiation of the MQQueueManager object. So therefore I can only try what you have suggested if we do pass in the queue manager name.

I will recompile a new version and get the client to try this with a queue manager name set, but this seems to conflict with other bits of advice given.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » "Twice-removed" queue
Jump to: