ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Log not available

Log not available « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Gideon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Log not available Reply with quote

Chevalier

I am running WMQ 7 on Linux

I tried to start my queue manager, and got the following response:

Code:
\bash-3.2$ \strmqm XLINUXQM
WebSphere MQ queue manager 'XLINUXQM' starting.
AMQ7017: Log not available.

It appears that my logs have been corrupted. Is there a way to recreate them. I tried deleting them and restarting, but that does not work.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Create another queue manager with exactly the same logging parameters, then move its log files (including lfh file) into the 'broken' queue manager's log directory. It doesn't always work, but always worth a first attempt at resurrection.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Log not available Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Gideon wrote:
I tried deleting them and restarting, but that does not work.

The qmgr creates and formats logs as it needs them.

You must *never* delete "circular" logs.

Its OK to delete "linear" logs that are no longer required for qmgr restart / recovery. There are SupportPacs for automating this.
LouML
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

exerk wrote:
Create another queue manager with exactly the same logging parameters, then move its log files (including lfh file) into the 'broken' queue manager's log directory. It doesn't always work, but always worth a first attempt at resurrection.

Just wanted to say this is exactly what I needed. Thanks!
Andyh
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Copying over a set of logs from a dummy queue manager is known as a cold start.
This is not a supported operation and should only be used under the guidance of MQ L2/L3 support.
A backup of the current queue manager state should always be taken before attempting this procedure.

When a queue manager restarts normally it uses the content of the recovery log to bring the persistent state back to the logical state it was in when the queue manager ended. The queue manager then backs out any active transactions to restore the system to an appropriate state.

When a cold start is performed there are no log records to replay and the queue manager files are left in exactly the state they were in when the queue manager last ended. If you're lucky and the queue manager ended normally with no indoubt transactions then all active transactions will have ended and all of the queue buffers will have been flushed to disk and no log record needs to be replayed at restart.
If you're not so lucky then the buffers didn't get flushed at shutdown and at restart you might:
1. gain messages
2. lose messages
3. suffer object damage
4. corrupt queue manager meta data
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Andyh wrote:
Copying over a set of logs from a dummy queue manager is known as a cold start.
This is not a supported operation and should only be used under the guidance of MQ L2/L3 support.
A backup of the current queue manager state should always be taken before attempting this procedure.

When a queue manager restarts normally it uses the content of the recovery log to bring the persistent state back to the logical state it was in when the queue manager ended. The queue manager then backs out any active transactions to restore the system to an appropriate state.

When a cold start is performed there are no log records to replay and the queue manager files are left in exactly the state they were in when the queue manager last ended. If you're lucky and the queue manager ended normally with no indoubt transactions then all active transactions will have ended and all of the queue buffers will have been flushed to disk and no log record needs to be replayed at restart.
If you're not so lucky then the buffers didn't get flushed at shutdown and at restart you might:
1. gain messages
2. lose messages
3. suffer object damage
4. corrupt queue manager meta data

and bad of me not to have caveated my answer. Going by the name of Gideon's queue manager I judged it to a 'crash-and-burn' sand-box setup - still, no excuse on my part for not stating it's an unsupported (but unfortunately rather well known and used) method.
LouML
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I should have stated that this was in our Development environment, so we weren't so concerned with losing data as we would have been in Production.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

LouML wrote:
I should have stated that this was in our Development environment, so we weren't so concerned with losing data as we would have been in Production.

My experience has been that bad habits in test/dev lead to bad habits in prod.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Log not available
Jump to: