ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy

Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sprasad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Novice

Hi ,

I have installed MQ V7.1 on my UBUNTU operating system and the installation was successful. But I am not able to run MQ commands from anywhere. I have to every time run the commands from /opt/mqm/bin.
After some research I understood that it is because my MQ installation is not PRIMARY. When I am trying to make the installation primary using the command "./setmqinst -i -p /opt/mqm/" I am getting the below error :

AMQ6294: Failed to create symbolic link with the name '/usr/lib64/libmqmzf.so'.
Error Number: 2

In the logs I see that the error is related to authorization.
----- amqiset0.c : 1015 -------------------------------------------------------
07/30/2012 09:38:30 PM - Process(2875.1) User(mqm) Program(setmqinst)
Host(ubuntu) Installation(Installation1)
VRMF(7.1.0.0)
AMQ8584: Insufficient permission to update installation configuration.

EXPLANATION:
An attempt was made to update the WebSphere MQ installation configuration for
installation 'Installation1' path '/opt/mqm' but the request was rejected as
the current user does not have sufficient authority to make the update.
ACTION:
Issue the command from a user with sufficient authority to update the
installation configuration.

I tried running the command as 'root' and 'mqm' also. I am not sure where and what permissions I have to change so that I get authorization to change the installation to PRIMARY.

Any support is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Poobah

sprasad wrote:
Hi ,

I have installed MQ V7.1 on my UBUNTU operating system and the installation was successful. But I am not able to run MQ commands from anywhere. I have to every time run the commands from /opt/mqm/bin.
After some research I understood that it is because my MQ installation is not PRIMARY.

What lead you to this conclusion? Perhaps you could add /opt/mqm/bin to your PATH.
sprasad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Novice

bruce2359 wrote:
sprasad wrote:
Hi ,

After some research I understood that it is because my MQ installation is not PRIMARY.

What lead you to this conclusion? Perhaps you could add /opt/mqm/bin to your PATH.

I did try that Bruce. But still I am getting access issue. I have also changed permissions to all MQ folders to mqm:mqm with 777 access. But no luck.

Conclusion: when you run any MQ command from other location. It is suggesting me to check the documentation of how to make MQ installation as PRIMARY. So started digging from there.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Don't change permissions on mq installs.

Ever.

Run setmqenv /s , specifying the full path to the installation you want to set as primary.

THEN run setmqinst.

But really, strongly consider NOT setting any primary instance, and set up procedures to run setmqenv in any shell that needs to talk to MQ.

Just like any env that talks to Broker should run mqsiprofile, any env that talks to MQ should run setmqenv.
sprasad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

mqjeff wrote:
Don't change permissions on mq installs.

Ever.

Run setmqenv /s , specifying the full path to the installation you want to set as primary.

THEN run setmqinst.

But really, strongly consider NOT setting any primary instance, and set up procedures to run setmqenv in any shell that needs to talk to MQ.

Just like any env that talks to Broker should run mqsiprofile, any env that talks to MQ should run setmqenv.

I would never change the permissions Jeff, but was desperate in trying everything.

It not the external applications which are not failing. I am trying to configure something which allows me run MQ command from anywhere.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

sprasad wrote:
I would never change the permissions Jeff, but was desperate in trying everything.

It not the external applications which are not failing. I am trying to configure something which allows me run MQ command from anywhere.

setmqenv /s should allow you to run setmqinst.

But I'd still recommend not running setmqinst and modifying your procedures to be aware of setmqenv so that you will have more control.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Poobah

sprasad wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
sprasad wrote:
Hi ,

I did try that Bruce. But still I am getting access issue. I have also changed permissions to all MQ folders to mqm:mqm with 777 access. But no luck.

Please be precise. Exactly what access issue? An error message of some kind?

If you can cd to /opt/mqm/bin to successfully execute supplied apps, then all you need to do is to add /opt/mqm/bin to your PATH.

If you want all logged in users to have /opt/mqm/bin in their PATH, modify the global login script to add /OPT/MQM/BIN to everyones PATH.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Grand Master

bruce2359 wrote:
If you can cd to /opt/mqm/bin to successfully execute supplied apps, then all you need to do is to add /opt/mqm/bin to your PATH.

NO. Please don't do this. Please don't take this as best practice moving forward with MQ 7.1 and 7.5.

USE SETMQENV or SETMQINST.

bruce2359 wrote:
If you want all logged in users to have /opt/mqm/bin in their PATH, modify the global login script to add /OPT/MQM/BIN to everyones PATH.

Again, add SETMQENV to everyone's login script. DO NOT manually modify the path expecting it to be correct.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

NO. Please don't do this. Please don't take this as best practice moving forward with MQ 7.1 and 7.5.

bruce2359 wrote:

Again, add SETMQENV to everyone's login script. DO NOT manually modify the path expecting it to be correct.

I re-read the OP, and it's 7.1.
sprasad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Novice

bruce2359 wrote:
sprasad wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
sprasad wrote:
Hi ,

Please be precise. Exactly what access issue? An error message of some kind?

Hi Jedi, I have provided the log for authorization issue i am having when I run rumqinst. I will try to add setmqenv in the accounts home directory. Atleast 'mqm' user should be able to run MQ commands from anywhere.That is what I am trying to achieve.
sprasad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Novice

bruce2359 wrote:
mqjeff wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

Yes i prefer this method. I was able to run setmqenv but not setmqinst. I will try to put in setmqenv in startup scripts for userid and check.

bruce2359 wrote:

I re-read the OP, and it's 7.1.

Strangely when 'mqm' user and group is created by MQ installation, it is not creating home directory for mqm userid. (/home/mqm).
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Grand Master

sprasad wrote:
Strangely when 'mqm' user and group is created by MQ installation, it is not creating home directory for mqm userid. (/home/mqm).

That's not strange. It's *wrong* but it's not *strange*.

The installer does not create a home directory for the mqm user, it sets the home directory for the mqm user to /var/mqm, despite this being a very bad idea for a home directory.

So the installer works as expected, but does what I believe is the wrong thing.

You should either manually create the mqm user yourself and give it a home directory that matches your site standards, or at least just use /home/mqm and change the mqm user to have that as it's home directory.

And then put setmqenv into the bash_profile (or whatever the login profile is for the shell you use - perhaps .kshrc or etc) of the mqm user.
sprasad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: WebSphere MQ Installation/Configuration Support Reply with quote

Novice

Finally I was able to resolve the issue by created the folder 'lib64' under /usr/ . that folder was missing and when I am running the command setmqinst, it was unable to create the folder.

Thanks for your responses and support.
RouteMe
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: WebSphere MQ Installation/Configuration Support Reply with quote

Novice

sprasad wrote:
Finally I was able to resolve the issue by created the folder 'lib64' under /usr/ . that folder was missing and when I am running the command setmqinst, it was unable to create the folder.

I had similar issue, unset the primary installation and set the Primary installation.. Sounds weird but it works

bash-4.1$ sudo ./setmqinst -x -p /usr/mqm/
AMQ8581: 'Installation1' (/usr/mqm) is not currently set as the Primary
Installation.
bash-4.1$ sudo ./setmqinst -i -p /usr/mqm
87 of 87 tasks have been completed successfuly.
'Installation1' (/usr/mqm) set as the Primary Installation
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: WebSphere MQ Installation/Configuration Support Reply with quote

Jedi Council

RouteMe wrote:
sprasad wrote:

I had similar issue, unset the primary installation and set the Primary installation.. Sounds weird but it works

bash-4.1$ sudo ./setmqinst -x -p /usr/mqm/
AMQ8581: 'Installation1' (/usr/mqm) is not currently set as the Primary
Installation.
bash-4.1$ sudo ./setmqinst -i -p /usr/mqm
87 of 87 tasks have been completed successfuly.
'Installation1' (/usr/mqm) set as the Primary Installation

mqjeff wrote:

THEN run setmqinst.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy
Jump to: