ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Broker Health Check

Broker Health Check « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
RA_SH
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Broker Health Check Reply with quote

Novice

Hi All,
I am required to do a general health check for the Broker and the flows associated along with the execution groups.

Could someone please point me in the right direction as to, what are the points i need to keep in mind that would constitute a health check,
I could think of:
1. Broker status
2. Execution group status
3. Flow status
4. space availability
5. CPU Usage

Any other inputs, and how can i go about achieving these.
Any documentation that is available with these information about performing health checks on broker and resources.

Thanks
sourdas2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

A good one - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0801_cui/0801_cui.html
RA_SH
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks!!! but i have already checked this. Are these the only parameters...???? for the health check....

If so, then this covers the broker resources health check..

Any pointers for the deployed artifacts health check...???
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You should revisit the contract you're on that has requested that you perform this health check.

There is no industry defined standard for "health check" for software in general, much less for Broker in specific.

So you're really in a customer-specific situation, where you need to make sure you understand what the customer expects, and make sure you understand what you've been hired to do.
RA_SH
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hey mqjeff...
This is not any customer/client specific requirement, its just an internal thing, some sort of an enhancement thingi that i was thinking about
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

What applies to one site will not always apply to another.

For example, one check could be

Are there any message on any Backout Queues?

That won't mean mush to a site where all the traffic is SOAP over HTTP.

Then you have to ask yourself this question

How far do I go to verify that my broker is running sweetly?

It could be that just seeing regular traffic via Event or Flow monitoring is sufficient to answer 'yes'.

then you might decide to connect up a tool such as Tivoli or HP-Openview and let it do all the work for me.

Enjoy!

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

JMX is available for the JVM that the Broker runs. You can collect stats from it as these stats relatewithin the JVM.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

RA_SH wrote:
Hey mqjeff...
This is not any customer/client specific requirement, its just an internal thing, some sort of an enhancement thingi that i was thinking about

Define the questions you want answered about your environment.

Or define the decisions you need to make over the next year - if only in category if not in specifics. For example "will we need to move to larger hardware?" "When will we upgrade to the next version of the product".

Design your healthcheck to support those decisions.
RA_SH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi All,
After a lot of discussions and a brainstorming session, we have concluded that the Generic Health Check would basically consist of three stage check.

1> A system health check, where we can have scripts to monitor the disk space usage and CPU usage and alert the admins if any abnormalities.
2> Deployed resources check, this would include, checking the status of the Broker, QM, Exec groups, Flows and depths of request queues.
3> Services check, where we would have scripts to fire webservice or MQ requests for each of the service and check the responses we get. The request messages would be read from a property file.

What do you guys think of this approach.
I will still keep troubling you guys with how to go about achieving this..
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

RA_SH wrote:

3> Services check, where we would have scripts to fire webservice or MQ requests for each of the service and check the responses we get. The request messages would be read from a property file.

Naturally this will put a loading on the services in question and could affect user response time.
From my own experience here unless you are very careful you could actually make your system worse. Think very carefully about the type of requests you are going to send. Can the target flow handle this sort of request or will lthey need modification? you really don't want to make a time critical process slow down with silly H/C requests.
If you go beyone simple 'keep alive' or 'ping' type requests then you will go beyond the basic H/C operation and into the 'continuous UAT' type of environment.
A very different scenario and one that is usually more trouble than it is worth.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
RA_SH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

The requests will be simple ping request, just to check if the flow is running fine.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

RA_SH wrote:
What do you guys think of this approach.

Nice wheel you're reinventing there.

RA_SH wrote:
1> A system health check, where we can have scripts to monitor the disk space usage and CPU usage and alert the admins if any abnormalities.
2> Deployed resources check, this would include, checking the status of the Broker, QM, Exec groups, Flows and depths of request queues.

Whatever product your platform people are using to check the health of the OS & underlying hardware will already be doing 1). There's absolutely no point building something for this as the TCO simply will not justify it & I'll be amazed if your platform people (even if they have built something) don't have something that's doing this. Any commercial product you use either do 2) for you or be easily extended to do it for you. Tivoli & Openview have been mentioned but the facility is shared by all products

RA_SH wrote:

What exactly is the point of this? If you actually need to check that the responses to a request are correct on a regular basis, then there's something seriously wrong with your change control procedure. You do not need to do a regression test with messages every 15 minutes to see if the flow's working. You might well want to see how fast it's working, and the WMB facilities will tell you that without sending data into your production system. What "simple ping request" were you planning to use to test that a flow's working which updates something?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Broker Health Check
Jump to: