ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Keep Channel alive and reset sequence numbers

Keep Channel alive and reset sequence numbers « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
groove200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Keep Channel alive and reset sequence numbers Reply with quote

Hi all , wonder if anybody could assist with this problem ?

1) We are currently setting up a new connection to a new International client ( English is not a first language and we are relying on non technical interpreters ) and are having a tough time with what appears to us an unusual MQ setup.

Outbound Channel is Sender- Receiver. Pretty simple by using triggering as normal we can bring the channel up and send messages.

Return channel is - Requester - Server . ( Requester is at our end ) . They are not using any triggering so we musy bring the channel up manually ourselves.

We would like to bring the channel up once ( at the begining of the day as they have MQ 'opening hours' ) and keep it up all day. We are being advised to use a status message to enquire on the status of their system which will return an OK message . This should be scheduled regularly to ensure we do not reach the timeout limit set on their channel and hence it shutting down.

However we've not come across such a 'status of remote system' message before and are unsure of how to construct this.

2) They are also advising they will be resetting the channel sequence number each morning, and advised we do the same. How I understood it was that when they reset their Server channel our 'Requester' channel sequence would automatically reset at next start and would not need us to do anything.

We will hoever have to reset our sender channel.

Am I correct ?

Thanks
stuartjohnston1967
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

PING CHANNEL will return a result on the channel
It sends a message via the MCA(s) but at a channel level only, non-application

There are loads of options on channels i.e heartbeat, timeout, keep alive and disconnect intervals that you can tune.

Why would they want to reset their receiver channel?

Yes a requester channel should sort itself out

You can also write an application heartbeat message which would be placed onto their queue manager, hits a target
QALIAS --> remote --> channel --> Your QMGR --> QLOCAL

But that seems like over the top to me.

Stuart
groove200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

As it is the Requester-Server channel we have a problem with ( our end being the Requester ) I cannot issue a ping down that channel.

We have no control at all over channel settings regarding timeout, keep-alive etc. The client controls these and will NOT change any settings to accommodate us.

This is why they are suggesting we send a keep alive message every hour to ensure the channel stays up..........????

I have no idea why they are resetting channels each day......we've attempted to ask , but the response ( in Google translated English ) is that this is normal for them.......
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

groove200 wrote:
I cannot issue a ping down that channel.

Why? Are you forbidden by law? Under penalty of death? Do you get a 400v shock when you try to do a PING?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

bruce2359 wrote:
groove200 wrote:
I cannot issue a ping down that channel.

Why? Are you forbidden by law? Under penalty of death? Do you get a 400v shock when you try to do a PING?

PING CHANNEL is documented to only work with certain types of channels...

Did you review the documentation on PING CHANNEL before making this post... ?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Keep Channel alive and reset sequence numbers
Jump to: