ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » MQ Client application packaging

MQ Client application packaging « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqtablet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: MQ Client application packaging Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi

This question is a generic one. Say, I've created a MQ client application which references the API libraries provided by IBM. If I want to use the application I developed on other machines, it needs the corresponding library files (for example - jar files in java, dll files in dot net) to be in the system which I run my application.

The question now is - Can I include these library files in my application package, so that when the user installs the application, the necessary library files are present in the destination machine?

Thanks in advance.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

There's a difference between 'can', 'should', and 'are allowed to'.

If you are packaging and distributing the application internally, then in general you don't need to worry about 'allowed to'. But if you have doubts or if your corporate policy on this is advanced, you will need to at least discuss the issue with your IBM sales rep.

In general, you 'should' not distribute the MQ client with your application. You 'should' install it normally on each destination machine. Then you can rely on it being in a known location and can rely on it being complete and up to date.

In general, you 'can' distribute it with your own application. But doing so can lead to conflicting installs on the same machine and version drift.
mqtablet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Jeff,

Sorry if my question was not clear. I'm not distributing the 'IBM MQ client' program with my application.

For example, lets say I've coded a java class which displays all the local queues in a queue manager using pcf. This application requires com.ibm.mq.jar - java class library given by IBM and is present in the installation directory.

With that said, now if I want to distribute the java class I have coded, can I include the com.ibm.mq.jar file along with my class file in a zip file and distribute it?

If I'm still not clear, please let me know. thanks in advance.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqtablet wrote:
With that said, now if I want to distribute the java class I have coded, can I include the com.ibm.mq.jar file along with my class file in a zip file and distribute it?

You can, but you shouldn't.

You can, in that the client and all it's components (including the jar file) are subject to an IBM license agreement that permits this.

(I am not now nor have I ever been a member of IBM's legal team. All comments are based on my personal interpretation of matters & no warranty express or implied is accepted for any loss or damage howsoever caused).

You shouldn't, because you're locking your application to a specific version of WMQ; the one you're distributing. This means that it could be a different version to the one the target site is using, and certainly will one day be a different version.

So say you distribute the WMQv7.1 client jar. 6 months from now the site updates all it's clients to WMQv7.2 to leverage some fix. Your application stays at WMQv7.1.

A year from now they move to WMQv8 to take advantage of the new client feature "X". Shortly after the upgrade all the users of your app complain to the admin that "X" isn't working. He checks the boxes, confirms all the clients are at v8 & it's not his problem. At this point your phone starts ringing and you need to redistrubute your app.

Why not do what everyone does; put "IBM WMQ Client" in the pre-reqs for your application?
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Reference the IBM MQ Jar files in their standard location. Do not copy them to your application directory.

Your customers should install the MQ client (and maintain it). You then refer to the MQ JAR files in their standard location.

I would hate it, if some vendor shipped IBM JAR files of some unknown version and fix level. whether or not it was allowed by IBM.

It's a pre-req - just like the OS or database sofware might be.

Make sure you test with all current MQ versions (V6), V7.01 and V7.1. At the latest fixpack level preferably.

Again I really hate it if vendors try to restrict the version of MQ that I want to install - especially if it doesn't support the latest GA version.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

mqtablet wrote:
Jeff,

Sorry if my question was not clear.

Your question was *very* clear.
mqtablet wrote:
I'm not distributing the 'IBM MQ client' program with my application.

Yes, you are!

mqtablet wrote:
For example, lets say I've coded a java class which displays all the local queues in a queue manager using pcf. This application requires com.ibm.mq.jar - java class library given by IBM and is present in the installation directory.

If I'm still not clear, please let me know. thanks in advance.

Again, you *are* clear, and again, everything I said already applies.

You CAN do this, but you SHOULD NOT.

And if you are distributing your application to CUSTOMERS rather than internal parties, you MIGHT NOT be ALLOWED TO.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

WMQ is licensed software. When you installed WMQ software, did you read the license? What does it allow? What does it not allow?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » MQ Client application packaging
Jump to: