ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Performance questions

Performance questions « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
HenriqueS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Performance questions Reply with quote

Master

I know this is a performance MONITORING forum but I would like to raise two questions uniquely regarded to MQ performance.

1) How do I calculate the optimal size for my logfiles and how many primary/secondary should I have?

2) FOUR seconds for a BROWSE based on MQID on a queue with 100.000 depth is a reasonable wait ?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance questions Reply with quote

Poobah

HenriqueS wrote:

2) FOUR seconds for a BROWSE based on MQID on a queue with 100.000 depth is a reasonable wait ?

MQID?

Are you saying that you have an app that browses every message in a queue searching for MsgId? Or are you attempting to match on MsgId?
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance questions Reply with quote

Jedi

HenriqueS wrote:
I know this is a performance MONITORING forum but I would like to raise two questions uniquely regarded to MQ performance.

1) How do I calculate the optimal size for my logfiles and how many primary/secondary should I have?

Logfile sizing does not affect the performance of browsing a queue. Sizing mainly depends on volume & size of persistent messages, UOW lifetimes and your requirements for recoverability.

Browsing a deep queue (say over a few thousand messages) for a particular message (even if MQ does automatic indexing on MID, CID, GID, MsgToken) is not a good design choice. Why do you need to do that?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Why use browse and not get from within a UOW ?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

While all that is true, 4 seconds to get a message out of a queue with only 100 messages is not right.

The System Admin Guide has a section on sizing your log capacity.
HenriqueS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Performance questions Reply with quote

Master

I am seeing these 2 issues as separate ones, do not worry. My need is to calculate the proper size for log files to conform to our daily througput.

And yes, browsing though a 100k depth queue is sick, we were offloading this queue only at night, but we are changing this scheme...

gbaddeley wrote:
HenriqueS wrote:

Logfile sizing does not affect the performance of browsing a queue. Sizing mainly depends on volume & size of persistent messages, UOW lifetimes and your requirements for recoverability.

Browsing a deep queue (say over a few thousand messages) for a particular message (even if MQ does automatic indexing on MID, CID, GID, MsgToken) is not a good design choice. Why do you need to do that?
HenriqueS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I meant 100 k messages.

Thanks for the log file calculation pointer.

PeterPotkay wrote:
While all that is true, 4 seconds to get a message out of a queue with only 100 messages is not right.

The System Admin Guide has a section on sizing your log capacity.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

My bad. You did write 100.000, which in Europe is the same as 100,000 here in the US.

4 seconds to browse a queue with 100K messages looking for a specific MSG_ID? That is not unrealistic. Check the QM logs the first time you open that queue with 100K messages in it. There's your answer of what's taking so long.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I repeat my question:

Are you saying that you have an app that browses each and every message in a queue searching for specific MsgId?

Or are you attempting to match on MsgId using WMQs built-in match option?

HenriqueS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I did contact the developer a few minutes ago, he did send me the source code. He is using the matching feature for the get operation.

bruce2359 wrote:
I repeat my question:

Are you saying that you have an app that browses each and every message in a queue searching for specific MsgId?

Or are you attempting to match on MsgId using WMQs built-in match option?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Like any other MQGET, messages must be in the queue for the match option to proceed.

Keep in mind that queues are architected objects that exist in virtual storage (memory).

Gets and puts are actions to queues in virtual storage, not to disk. WMQ buffer management components take care of moving messages to/from buffers (virtual storage) and disk.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Every operation on a queue takes longer as the qdepth increases. This includes Get-with-Match-On-MsgId.

The Best Queue Depth is 0. If you have a queue with qdepth>0, then you do not have enough copies of the receiving application running to handle the workload being produced.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

HenriqueS wrote:
I did contact the developer a few minutes ago, he did send me the source code. He is using the matching feature for the get operation.

I believe this procedure needs to be challenged and rethought.
What specifically is the developer looking for, and why does he use the matching option in a batch type operation?

Also how does the developer go about his dequeues (FIFO or LIFO)?
This too can make a tremendous difference when using the matching option.

Have fun
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
If you have a queue with qdepth>0, then you do not have enough copies of the receiving application running to handle the workload being produced.

I don't know if I would go that far. That statment is a bit too generic. On Page 1 of Day 1 of MQ 101, the example given is the sending app that is up all day, the processing / receving app that only comes up for an hour at midnight. Queuing is expected and what you bought MQ for.

But these types of receiving apps typically process the queue FIFO and don't care how deep it is because they only care about the first / next message.

If the consumer and sender apps are both up all day long and the q depth is rising, yeah, you need more consuming instances.

If you are browsing a deep queue looking for a specific message, either you are in an rare error situation where you stopped the receiver app to find and yank a bad message, where it can be argued that performance is not critical. Or you are doing this all day everyday, in which case you are using MQ as database and the poor performance is your punishement / reminder that MQ is being misused.
Andyh
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

MQ on the distributed platforms is optimized for MQGET by CorrelId when searching for a specific message.
If you're able to change from using MsgId to CorrelId you are likely to see a very considerable improvement in the latency of the MQGET when selecting a message from a deep queue.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Performance questions
Jump to: