ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » MQMD Encoding

MQMD Encoding « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Karan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: MQMD Encoding Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

Iv read many of the posts/infocenter/other resources on ccsid and have a decent understanding of it. What Im still not clear about , is (MQMD.)Encoding. Im aware Encoding applies to numeric data.

Im trying to "see" the effect of changing Encoding. (perhaps reversal of byte order for Integers ? )
I tried it on a CWF message set with a field of type Int (external decimal) but when I use ASBITSTREAM with ccsid 1208 and different encodings 273,546,785 the resulting BLOB is the same.

Could anyone either suggest an example wherein I can see the effect of changing encoding. Or some good material/links to read up.
I do not have access to a test mainframe/AIX Env for some time. Just a windows machine.

Thanks
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.csqzak.doc/fr13050_.htm
Then goto to the definition of 'Encoding'.

Quote:

The numeric encoding defines the representation used for binary integers, packed-decimal integers, and floating-point numbers.

If you are dealing with EBCIDIC Data then getting the correct value matters a great deal especially for packed decimal types.

If you are dealing with textual data (eg XML) then it does not matter at all (AFAIK).

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Karan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

So if I have cobol data (with only PIC 9 , PIC X and PIC9 V99 i.e no packed decimal) coming as MQSTR then it doesent matter ?

The link talks abt binary integers , floating point numbers as well apart from packed decimal.
Im still looking to understand its concept and see how it makes a difference to the bitstream if anyone has an example.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Coded Character Set ID applies to data that is character data.

Encoding applies to data that is numeric data.

If you have a cobol record that only specifies PIC 9, PIC X and PIC9V9 or etc that always represents all numeric values using the characters 0-9, then Encoding doesn't apply.

If you have a cobol record that specifies numeric values should be represented as numbers, rather than the characters that represent numbers, then Encoding does apply.
rekarm01
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MQMD Encoding Reply with quote

Grand Master

Karan wrote:
Could anyone either suggest an example wherein I can see the effect of changing encoding.

Here's a simple (untested) example:

Code:
DECLARE intValue INTEGER 42;
DECLARE blob273Value BLOB CAST(intValue AS BLOB ENCODING 273);
DECLARE blob546Value BLOB CAST(intValue AS BLOB ENCODING 546);
DECLARE blob785Value BLOB CAST(intValue AS BLOB ENCODING 785);

The Encoding conversion is the same with MRM/CWF and ASBITSTREAM, but the CWF format needs to represent numeric data using actual numeric data types.

The MQMD Format should indicate which message bytes represent numeric data.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » MQMD Encoding
Jump to: