ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » What I risk to grant put,get,dsp to S.D.MODEL.Q & S.A.CO

What I risk to grant put,get,dsp to S.D.MODEL.Q & S.A.CO « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
issac
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: What I risk to grant put,get,dsp to S.D.MODEL.Q & S.A.CO Reply with quote

Disciple

Hello,

In order in enable supposedly read-only users to access qmgrs by MQ Explorer and mqsc support pack, I plan to grant dsp,put,get priviledges upon SYSTEM.DEFAULT.MODEL.QUEUE and SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.QUEUE to the userid which will be available to people who is supposed to be read-only to the QMGR.

But I don't quite understand how much risk I am exposing to the outside. Is what I do going to make the QMGR less secure? Will what I do enable these supposedly read-only users to do something terrible to the QMGR?

Thank you in advance.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

What research have you done? Do you understand what these objects are used for?

What does read-only have to do with these objests?
issac
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Mmmm... thanks very much for the reply. To be honest docs I found for these queues are somewhat vague, which includes the following:

SYSTEM.DEFAULT.MODEL.QUEUE Default model queue.
SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.QUEUE Administration command queue. Used for remote MQSC commands and PCF commands.

I'm trying to setup an userid, which has dsp priviledge upon almost every Q, CHL, ALIAS... but could not do anything other than dsp on them. So I call it meant to be read-only for short.

The reason for me to grant dsp,put,get upon S.D.M.Q and S.A.C.Q is to enable the userid to be able to work when users connect by MQ Explorer and mqsc support pack.

I plan to create a SVRCONN chl whose MCAUSER is set to this read-only userid, then provide the chl for developers so that they could connect to the QMGR by MQ Explorer or mqsc support pack, and be able to view various properties but still unable to make any change.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Thanks again for your advice.
exerk
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

THIS link should be of interest to you, if you have not already viewed it. And remember, any MCAUSER value set within a channel only mitigates what can be done - you are setting PUT/GET authorities for your user, which makes what you are doing NOT read-only.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Well the user will have to have put on at least the system admin queue.
Apart from display you might want to add inq for the regular objects, and if the users also need to see the message content, browse.

Have fun
exerk
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

fjb_saper wrote:
Well the user will have to have put on at least the system admin queue.

That one's a given, however, I interpreted the PUT/GET and other comments to mean that more than just 'looking' was involved.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » What I risk to grant put,get,dsp to S.D.MODEL.Q & S.A.CO
Jump to: