ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » WMB7 and application database on Oracle 9i

WMB7 and application database on Oracle 9i « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
shruthi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: WMB7 and application database on Oracle 9i Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

Though we don’t need database for metadata in Message broker from V7.
We still have some applications databases that are on Oracle 9i.
As per IBM http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=849&uid=swg27022277#AIX_Databases_ww

it recommends to have at least Oracle v10g release 2, but we are currently at v9i. Is it recommended to upgrade 9i database before the WMB upgrade ?

As it is app DB i am pretty sure it will be very tough to get it approved.

Is it possible to connect to 9i from WMB 7 and if so What concerns/issues will be with 9i app database from WMB 7.
Thanks,
Shruthi
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: WMB7 and application database on Oracle 9i Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

shruthi wrote:
Hi,

Though we don’t need database for metadata in Message broker from V7.
We still have some applications databases that are on Oracle 9i.
As per IBM http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=849&uid=swg27022277#AIX_Databases_ww

it recommends to have at least Oracle v10g release 2, but we are currently at v9i. Is it recommended to upgrade 9i database before the WMB upgrade ?

As it is app DB i am pretty sure it will be very tough to get it approved.

Is it possible to connect to 9i from WMB 7 and if so What concerns/issues will be with 9i app database from WMB 7.
Thanks,
Shruthi

I don't believe 9i is supported with WMB7.
So the question is what is the risk of running an unsupported combination?

That is for your management to answer.
shruthi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Problem is its a legacy application and it works only on 9i .
I have the same question how much risk/impact of running the interfaces an unsupported combination?

Thanks,
-Shruthi
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

shruthi wrote:
I have the same question how much risk/impact of running the interfaces an unsupported combination?

That says it all - it's an unsupported combination. If anything goes wrong you're on your own. That's all the way from performance degrading for no apparent reason all the way to none of the components starting.

So the risk is that at some future point the system may be partly of fully unusable until local resources resolve the problem. You measure that risk by evaluating how confident you are that local resources can resolve the problem. This is a value judgement.

The impact is measured by taking how critical this application is to the business and multiplying it by the length of time you've arrived at above.

For example, if the application is responsible for producing the quarter end reports on coffee consumpution in branch offices, the impact is less than if it processes customer invoices. In the first case you can tollerate it being out of service for days if not weeks, in the second case downtime of more than a few hours will result in a lynch mob of business users.

Another factor is the stability of the components you don't control. If nothing ever changes on the box, the risk is minimal. If the sys admins patch the OS, or the DBAs patch Oracle, or the application people release a new version, that could cause something to stop working, or working as well.

The short version: running an unsupported configuration puts the responsibility for problem resolution onto your site. Someone in management needs to put their neck on the block and agree that's ok based on the subjective risk analysis I've described above.
shruthi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks alot fjb and Vitor.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » WMB7 and application database on Oracle 9i
Jump to: