ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » security on Server connection channel

security on Server connection channel « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
withKappa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

mqjeff wrote:

The only way to identify which key in a given keystore is presented by an application is using the *label* of the certificate, not the distinguished name. This is the label you have generated like ibmwebspheremquser_test.

ok, are you saying that the clientes identify the certs by the label (ibmwebspheremquser_test) and not by the DN?

Thx,

Mark
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

withKappa wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

The only way to identify which key in a given keystore is presented by an application is using the *label* of the certificate, not the distinguished name. This is the label you have generated like ibmwebspheremquser_test.

ok, are you saying that the clientes identify the certs by the label (ibmwebspheremquser_test) and not by the DN?

The default behaviour for clients is to use the certificate bearing their name, e.g. if the client runs under a user named mytestuser it will expect a certificate with the label of ibmwebspheremqmytestuser, and if it's not found, SSL fails. I don't know if that's true of Java (I'm decidedly shaky on anything Java related, but someone more enlightened will be along to confirm/refute soon I'm sure) but out of habit, and to maintain uniformity, I have always used the prescribed convention when working with JKS key stores.
withKappa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

exerk wrote:

The default behaviour for clients is to use the certificate bearing their name, e.g. if the client runs under a user named mytestuser it will expect a certificate with the label of ibmwebspheremqmytestuser, and if it's not found, SSL fails. I don't know if that's true of Java (I'm decidedly shaky on anything Java related, but someone more enlightened will be along to confirm/refute soon I'm sure) but out of habit, and to maintain uniformity, I have always used the prescribed convention when working with JKS key stores.

ok perfect

thx
Mark
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:

Mostly... not quite.
I believe the rule goes more like
If the client runs under a user named mytestuser it will expect a certificate label of ibmwebspheremqmytestuser. If it is not found it will attempt to use the default certificate. If no default certificate is found SSL will fail...
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

fjb_saper wrote:
exerk wrote:

Mostly... not quite.
I believe the rule goes more like
If the client runs under a user named mytestuser it will expect a certificate label of ibmwebspheremqmytestuser. If it is not found it will attempt to use the default certificate. If no default certificate is found SSL will fail...

Thank you for the clarification - I wasn't sure whether the rule applied to Java clients; for some reason I had it in the back of my head that they could use any certificate they wanted or found in the key store.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
Thank you for the clarification - I wasn't sure whether the rule applied to Java clients; for some reason I had it in the back of my head that they could use any certificate they wanted or found in the key store.

Sorry I wasn't specific. I believe you're right for Java. The rule I wanted to clarify was for the cms type store.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21245474

This link talks about when default certs are used on the client side versus user name specific certs, and it does highlight how Java / JMS are different.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Thanks for the authorative document Peter.
withKappa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

ok thx to all .
If I have other questions I will post here again.

Mark

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » security on Server connection channel
Jump to: