ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Getting tired of XMS

Getting tired of XMS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
4integration
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Getting tired of XMS Reply with quote

Disciple

Hello,

We have used IBM's XMS API for .NET quite a long time but because of MANY problems/fixes in this API we are really consider to remove this layer and use amqmdnet instead.

Then of course we need to take care of some "problem" ourselves such as message listeners etc.

- Do you know about any open source library using amqmdnet that have implemented some nice functionality?
- Maybe you have code to share?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Where it is true that V7 has had a number of fixes for XMS, I believe that most of the bugs have been fixed now (V7.0.1.6)...

Have fun
mvic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Getting tired of XMS Reply with quote

Jedi

4integration wrote:
- Do you know about any open source library using amqmdnet that have implemented some nice functionality?
- Maybe you have code to share?

There is sample code that comes with MQ, which might be enough for you. Check it out, if it is not enough for you, then perhaps specify what else you were looking for.
4integration
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Quote:
Where it is true that V7 has had a number of fixes for XMS, I believe that most of the bugs have been fixed now (V7.0.1.6)...

We have found and have had problems approx 10 times with 7.0.1.3 and received the same amount of fixes. This large number of fixes have caused a lot of extra work since the fixes have been new XMS installation packages but also a couple of "hotfixes" (DLLs to be replaced).
So we checked the release notes of 7.0.1.6 and all APARs was included so we was happy.
Started to use that in very small and controlled area since we have very bad experience of XMS.
Almost directly new problems was discovered....

• Not possible to create subscriptions (exception was thrown) but here we found a APAR for 7.0.1.5 that seemed to solve the problem. Got a build for 7.0.1.6 and it solved that problem BUT a new problem come with that APAR.
  • Can not create consumer, getting an exception and that only happens with target platform x64 and "Any CPU" but works with x32. Have not yet received the fix
  • Yesterday I discovered problems when an exceptions is thrown in message listener callback method. With managed connection mode it just stop process messages and with unmanaged connection mode, it crashes completely

...what will be the next problem

Can also mention that we did the same journey with XMS 1.2.x.x

Quote:
There is sample code that comes with MQ, which might be enough for you. Check it out, if it is not enough for you, then perhaps specify what else you were looking for.

Yes, have looked at it but there is areas that require more functionality, such as with message listener.
We really like the JMS style programming model.
It would be really nice to have a NMS provider to WebSphere MQ (as open source). https://cwiki.apache.org/NMS/
Will investigate about that...

If you have any ideas, tips on NMS Provider to WMQ (or similar approach), please let me know.
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

4integration wrote:
Quote:

Yes, have looked at it but there is areas that require more functionality, such as with message listener.
We really like the JMS style programming model.
It would be really nice to have a NMS provider to WebSphere MQ (as open source). https://cwiki.apache.org/NMS/
Will investigate about that...

If you have any ideas, tips on NMS Provider to WMQ (or similar approach), please let me know.

I don't know of anything precisely meeting the spec you're asking for. But XMS is IBM's solution for this. It is supposed to do everything for .NET, C, C++ that you can do with JMS. I don't think you are currently going to get anything better at doing JMS style things with MQ in a .NET environment than IBM's XMS .NET classes. That's only my opinion, of course.

If you / your team likes JMS behaviour, is it possible to use the real thing - ie. program in Java, using the real JMS classes?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Use the latest (V7.0.1.6) and work the bugs through PMRs.

This is your best bet to get it squared away ASAP. The alternative is of course using java and JMS.
shashikanth_in
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Does NMS support IBM MQ also?
shashikanth_in
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

4integration wrote:

Almost directly new problems was discovered....
[list]
[*]Not possible to create subscriptions (exception was thrown) but here we found a APAR for 7.0.1.5 that seemed to solve the problem. Got a build for 7.0.1.6 and it solved that problem BUT a new problem come with that APAR.

What is the new problem you are getting?
4integration wrote:

[*]Can not create consumer, getting an exception and that only happens with target platform x64 and "Any CPU" but works with x32. Have not yet received the fix

What exception are you getting?
hallmark
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Hi,

I guess what the OP is referring to is a not yet fully working version of an XMS solution which is intended to be a port of JMS functionality for .NET. I empathise with the frustration as someone that wishes to use MQ on a .NET platform they want to take advantage of all the features they know and love from JMS but am constantly facing a PMR based iterative development (in parallel with their own iterative development!).

I suspect it's a minority of uses of MQ and therefore it's early days still...

No help here other than to either continue with the approach and get things fixed and feel worthy that you have contributed to the development, or move to a more proven platform...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Getting tired of XMS
Jump to: