ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Need help with Tivoli Situation for Oldest Message Age

Need help with Tivoli Situation for Oldest Message Age « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Mirage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Need help with Tivoli Situation for Oldest Message Age Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

I'm working on a requirement for monitoring certain queues for Oldest Message Age and would like your input.

Requirement is to monitor certain queues for Oldest message age. So, lets say out of 4000 queues on the queue manager, we would like to monitor only 30 queues that are supplied by the developers. The queues are in a certain naming convention, so a generic queue name is not possible in the filter. One thought was to use queue description as a filter field, as the description of the queue can be modified easily without effecting any application. For those 30 queues we will prepend the existing description with some thing like TYPE01_, and group them all.

In the situation, we would check for Queue Description == TYPE01_*, which should bring only those 30 queues and then check for Oldest Message Age > 60 seconds, something like that.

This was the plan.

While trying to implement, I've added both the fileds in the situation. Now the situation is checking for Queue Statistics Table for Queue description of "TYPE01_*" and checking the Queue Status table for Oldest Msg Age > 60 seconds. Although the formula looks OK and good from situation point of view, the result isn't as expected. It looks like the first part of the equation is only working, so, the alert is generated for all queues that has queue description of TYPE01_* and of ANY message age. The second condition validity isn't working.

Could this be because I've added two tables in the situation? Is this valid?

Please suggest if there are any other ways to accomplish this.

Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Did you attempt this with MQSC commands? If so, please post the command you used, and the results.

Or did you use the WMQ Explorer? What operator(s) did you use? EQ? LK?
Mirage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi

I'm trying to define this Situation in Tivoli (TEP). I'm not setting up the monitor with runmqsc commands.

I've modified the queue description to match the filter criteria from MQ Explorer and also placed messages on the queues from MQ Explorer to match the oldest message age criteria. Changed the Queue's monitoring under statistics to "LOW" from MQ explorer.

This situation works if I provide only one criteria in the filter. When I combine both of them then its not working.

Did this answer your question and provide more info? Please let me know.
Does Tivoli in the background run runmqsc commands? I didn't understand why you were asking for the runmqsc commands.

Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

It is likely that Tivoli gets its information via MQSC script command (or equivalent). As a problem-determination step, I'd want to ensure that the WMQ line commands (primitives) produce the results I'm looking for. If the MQSC DISPLAY QLOCAL ... WHERE ... works, but the Tivoli equivalent doesn't, then ...

You said that the Queue Description == TYPE01_* portion worked, but Oldest Msg Age > 60 seconds does not. Can you use the WMQ Explorer or MQSC to verify that there are messages older than 60 seconds in one of your queues?
Mirage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Yes there are messages that are older than 60 seconds.
Both conditions work and alert if they are used as is. The problem is when they are combined it doesn't work.

Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Mirage wrote:
Yes there are messages that are older than 60 seconds.
Both conditions work and alert if they are used as is. The problem is when they are combined it doesn't work.

Thanks

To clarify, each individual condition produces correct results; but you get no results whatsoever when the two are combined.

Perhaps someone with more TEP experience will be along soon.
Mirage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Yes sir.
Maybe the tables are not supposed to be used together?
Queue status is on demand table where as the queue stats table is sampled.

thanks
Mirage
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Update: From Tivoli MQ Monitoring documentation, what I understood is that a situation can only contain attributes from one table.

So, I started working on other alternatives and here is what I'm currently working on.

I'm using the IBM Support pack Qload and running a script which would check the 'XX' number of queues one by one for messages that are older than 'XX' minutes. If the condition is true then an alert will be generated from the script for that queue.

This seems to be working fine so far.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions or comments.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Sounds like a good solution.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Need help with Tivoli Situation for Oldest Message Age
Jump to: