ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » [FileRead node] Read multiple files

[FileRead node] Read multiple files « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
danferry
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: BIP4989 Reply with quote

Novice

Hi everyone

I found another problem with this solution. Now the Node is telling me, that there are multiple files and he don't know which one to chose. The solution I made worked fine but now this error. Does anyone know how to do a workaround?

File-Pattern is Filename_*.txt and * could be everything (2012314 or abcd or ...)

How can I solve this? By the way, the BIP I get ist a 4989 (more can be found here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmbhelp/v7r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.etools.mft.bipmsgs.doc%2Fay_bip4.htm)

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Daniel

edit: it still works on processing the files, it just fails when I check for file-Existance first (so if no file exists it's an error state) maybe that's the problem. I'm on it maybe I get it to work

Last edited by danferry on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

If it was me (and it's not):

Have 1 flow read the control file. When the file turns up, have it start a 2nd flow which is fronted by a FileInput node that reads all the source files. Use a mechanism of your choice to stop the flow again.

Though if it was me I'd have the 2nd flow running continually and read files as they arrive. This "batch window" concept is all too often a hold over from the days when the files were read by an application cron started.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Or:

Have whoever writes the control file include a manifest of explicit file names you need to read (which they must know unless this control file is simply a timing mechanism and therefore pointless). Propagate each name to the FileRead and you're away.
danferry
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

That's not that easy at all and everything additional costs money.

I did a quick and dirty fix for now, filtering the BIP out of the Error-Path of my flow, works for now.

And yes you're right, Files/Control Files is probably not what we want in the message broker, but when the customer wants it, it has to be the way and is not discussable

Thanks anyway
Daniel
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

danferry wrote:
when the customer wants it, it has to be the way and is not discussable

The idiom "The customer is always right, even if the customer is barking mad" only goes so far. The customer has no concept of the capabilities of the software & is employing you to implement their requirement. Not to implement their solution, developed without knowledge of the software's capabilites. Of course 95% of all customers give you a solution not a requirement (certainly that's the percentage I've experienced), but where the solution is non-optimal it's encumbant on you as the subject matter expert to discuss it.

If nothing else it protects you from blow back when the next guy they get complains about the solution, and can push you forward as the guy who not only gets things done but adds value.

It also protects you when your quick & dirty fix is discovered to be quick & dirty by the next requirement change, or when now (as in "it works for now") becomes then.
sunilch
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan could you please attach me the screenshots which you attached in one of your old posts in this thread.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

The original post being 6 years old or more I wouldn't hold my breath for any answer here.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » [FileRead node] Read multiple files
Jump to: