ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Issue an MQ Admin command (runmqsc) when not in mqm group

Issue an MQ Admin command (runmqsc) when not in mqm group « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sbuckman1
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Issue an MQ Admin command (runmqsc) when not in mqm group Reply with quote

Platform=Solaris Version 7.0.1.5

special application id (not defined in the mqm group) needs to be able to issue "suspend qmgr .." and "resume qmgr ..." commands as part of its automation.

I have been attempting to set the authorization via the setmqaut commands without success.
Was wondering if this is an execuatble permissions issue, or even possible if not defined to mqm group.

I can work around this by utilizing an mqclient connection (with a hardcoded mcauser) but would really like to make it 'clean' ..
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Why would you need (automation) to suspend and resume a qmgr?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

besides answering bruce2359's question, have considered a script with sudo?
sbuckman1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a HA environment - The front end application (I support it, didnt write it!) is capable of only connections to a single host, and any replies have to be returned to the active connection.
During maintenance, we move this application to an alternate host/Qmgr - hence the need for suspend/resume, to not orphan messages.

I know how to do workarounds to my question - I am just looking for a direct way of doing it. Hence my question to the forum.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

So your queue managers are HA and your applications are HA and you're using an MQ Cluster.

You shouldn't suspend and resume the queue manager from the MQ Cluster.

You should share and unshare the application queues instead. This is the *best* way to handle your situation.

You should entirely be able to do either set of operations - suspend/resume qmgr or alter qlocal - from a non-mqm user. But you will probably need to do so using PCF messages and not runmqsc, and you will need to provide the relevant and necessary permissions to the various objects including the command queue.

If you're uncomfortable with writing code to send PCF messages, when you are simply trying to "script* a solution, you should look at the Perl modules for MQ - SupportPac MA89. They work quite a treat and install using CPAN from Unix without any trouble.
sbuckman1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Issue an MQ Admin command (runmqsc) when not in mqm group Reply with quote

As a followup / closure to this thread, I have chosen to utilize queue disable/enable(put) to manage traffic flow. This has proven to be 99% effective - still get the occasional message in the DLQ, but this is manageable.

Am now exploring use of the Multi-Instance Qmgr setups..

Thanks for the advice.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue an MQ Admin command (runmqsc) when not in mqm grou Reply with quote

Poobah

sbuckman1 wrote:
As a followup / closure to this thread, I have chosen to utilize queue disable/enable(put) to manage traffic flow. This has proven to be 99% effective - still get the occasional message in the DLQ, but this is manageable.

Am now exploring use of the Multi-Instance Qmgr setups..

Thanks for the advice.

Exactly what problem did you resolve by put enable/disable?

Why were/are messages going to the DLQ?

What does put enable/disable have to do with messages going to the DLQ?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Sometime after the Put Disable an app on another QM sends a message addressed specifically to this queue on this queue manager. When it arrives at this QM, it gets placed in the DLQ.

Suspending a QM or put disabling the queue does not 100% prevent messages from being sent to this QM.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Issue an MQ Admin command (runmqsc) when not in mqm group
Jump to: