ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » SSL Setup for Clustered QM

SSL Setup for Clustered QM « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
kishi_25
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: SSL Setup for Clustered QM Reply with quote

Centurion

hi,

I'm having the following setup of QM.

Q Manager A - Non Cluster QM on Windows
Q Manager B - Partial repository on Cluster X - Aixx
Q Manager C - Full repositoitory on Cluster X - Aix
Q Manager D - Full repository on Cluster X - Aix

Regular sender/receiver channels are defined between Q Manager A and Q Manager B.

Now,
i) If I setup a SSL Between Q Manager A (non cluster QM) and Q Manager B, how does it effect the other cluster members since, Q Manager B is part of cluster.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You do not configure SSL on a queue manager.

You configure SSL on channels.

That statement tells you absolutely everything you need to know about SSL and MQ clusters.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
That statement tells you absolutely everything you need to know about SSL and MQ clusters.

If you need more details, start here and follow the links.
kishi_25
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Jeff,

I didn't mention in my original question as, I'm setting up SSL on QM.
I mentioned as I want to setup SSL between QM.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

kishi_25 wrote:
Jeff,

I didn't mention in my original question as, I'm setting up SSL on QM.
I mentioned as I want to setup SSL between QM.

mqjeff wrote:

fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

And you may well need multiple SSL cluster receivers as the SSLPEER does not behave the same from Windows to Unix as it does from Windows to Windows or Unix to Unix... (I suspect it has to do with most significant bit )... especially when you use multiple OUs.
To avoid creating 1 channel per qmgr, you SSL peer should check for an OU that represents the cluster...

Have fun
kishi_25
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Jeff, agree with you. I was under the impression, since some of the Keyrepository information is stored at QM level and since my QM is Gateway QM for cluster, it might have some impact for other cluster members...

since the essence of your inputs says, the configuration is completely focused on non-cluster channels, it shouldn't have any impact for other cluster members as long as cluster channels doesn't participate in SSL.

thanks for your inputs.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

kishi_25 wrote:
Jeff, agree with you. I was under the impression, since some of the Keyrepository information is stored at QM level and since my QM is Gateway QM for cluster, it might have some impact for other cluster members...

OK, a fair concern for someone unfamiliar with WMQ and SSL...

kishi_25 wrote:
...since the essence of your inputs says, the configuration is completely focused on non-cluster channels, it shouldn't have any impact for other cluster members as long as cluster channels doesn't participate in SSL...

I can find nothing in mqjeff's posts that so much as hints, suggests, implies, or states that. For SSL, a channel is a channel is a channel - why would you consider securing one type of channel and not another? But take heed of what fjb_saper has advised you.
kishi_25
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

hi exerk,

I guess you are focusing more on cross examining others posts rather than providing inputs. I want to secure one type of channel due to the messages are coming from outside for that particular channel and other channels are internal to our organization.

Also, I appreciate if you stop copying others posts repeatedly and stop evaluating others with your expert knowledge.

We should use our valuable time in forums to address others questions.
If you think, people are asking basic questions you can route them to referrenece links or you dont need to respond that
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

kishi_25 wrote:
...I want to secure one type of channel due to the messages are coming from outside for that particular channel...

Very commendable...

kishi_25 wrote:
...and other channels are internal to our organization...

So what? If your external organisation can get to an IP and Port, they can get to your other channels too. Have you secured just what this external entity can do? Can you stop them putting messages to your SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.QUEUE?

kishi_25 wrote:
...Also, I appreciate if you stop copying others posts repeatedly...

Merely highlighting the relevant sections of posts...

kishi_25 wrote:
...and stop evaluating others with your expert knowledge...

Expert knowledge is one thing I do not possess...

kishi_25 wrote:
...We should use our valuable time in forums to address others questions...

I do when I can address their questions, or highlight valuable information provided by others when I think the OP may have misread/not read/or otherwise ignored what is there...

kishi_25 wrote:
...If you think, people are asking basic questions you can route them to referrenece links or you dont need to respond that

Yours was not a basic question, more of an inquiry. However, as you seem to feel somewhat aggrieved by my replies I shall make this my last post on the subject
kishi_25
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

hi,

Somehow, earlier I was not comfort with your messages. But, after verifying your postings on other forums only, I commented you as expert. . I don't want you stop posting here.

Have you secured just what this external entity can do? Can you stop them putting messages to your SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.QUEUE?

I'm setting security for this queue with setmqaut
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

kishi_25 wrote:
hi,

Somehow, earlier I was not comfort with your messages. But, after verifying your postings on other forums only, I commented you as expert. . I don't want you stop posting here...

No worries. Sometimes I come across as terse and abrupt, for which I offer my apologies to all I may have offended or upset.

kishi_25 wrote:
...I'm setting security for this queue with setmqaut

Good. It's surprising how many people forget to do this or just plain can't be bothered, so your post can now be used as a good example of what should be done.

Now, what about your internal channels?
kishi_25
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

thanks Exerk. For internal channels, We are setting for MCAUSER access.
Do you suggest any other security for internal channels? Ofcourse we have
setmqauth for each of QM.

I want to limit the SSL for only external channel as

i) My external channel communicates with one of the partial repository QM on cluster
ii) Also my external channels are distributed sender/receiver
iii) All my internal channels are cluster receiver/sender

do you suggest any other things here?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

kishi_25 wrote:
...We are setting for MCAUSER access...

As far as I am concerned that should be a default for any channel, irrespective of internal or external - plus SSL of course!

kishi_25 wrote:
...Do you suggest any other security for internal channels? Ofcourse we have setmqauth for each of QM.

The minimum I suggest for any channel, again irrespective of internal or external but most emphatically where a queue manager is a mixture of internal and external connections, is SSL and OAM.

kishi_25 wrote:
I want to limit the SSL for only external channel as

i) My external channel communicates with one of the partial repository QM on cluster

And is therefore a gateway to your cluster - lock it, or lose it.

kishi_25 wrote:
ii) Also my external channels are distributed sender/receiver

I'll restate - a channel is a channel is a channel. If the external party can inquire and discover channel names etc. then OAM is not enough on the internal channels.

kishi_25 wrote:
iii) All my internal channels are cluster receiver/sender

Even more reason to ensure lock-down as there is the potential for n queue managers to be compromised.

kishi_25 wrote:
...do you suggest any other things here?

Only that you should define the level of paranoia as 'the world is against me' when it comes to external parties joining your infrastructure. That is not to suggest that the parties act in any way maliciously, but you have a duty of care toward your employer/client/customer that you will take all necessary precautions to prevent security exposure.

There are some great security related discussions HERE, and I suggest you take some time out to read some of them.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
Only that you should define the level of paranoia as 'the world is against me' when it comes to external parties joining your infrastructure. That is not to suggest that the parties act in any way maliciously, but you have a duty of care toward your employer/client/customer that you will take all necessary precautions to prevent security exposure.

Expressed more formally, all external parties are by definition outside of the auditible security boundary your organisation has round it. This mean, by extension, you have to apply rigerious security measures against them to meet audit requirements.

How, and how much, security you apply depends a lot of corporate standards, how hard your auditors bite and how much jail time senior executives can do if there's non-compliance or a breach.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » SSL Setup for Clustered QM
Jump to: