ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » wmq statistics: strange results

wmq statistics: strange results « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
svu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: wmq statistics: strange results Reply with quote

Voyager

After the IBM training, using WMQ stats and accounting looked easy and trivial. But the real life is different from those simple examples...

I am trying to get the stats from one QM. The results are strange.

First, only a subset of queues is represented. I KNOW that some queue is used (the messages are coming through the MB working on that QM, there is logging in the message flows). But that queue is not represented in the stats at all. Why? The statistics settings on that queue are default (i.e. "Queue manager"), same as on other queues.

Also, the results in WMQ Explorer (using MS0P) are different from the output of amqsmon utility. The WMQE is really using all available stats records (from the start of logging till now - I just did "Flush statistics"). While the command line utility restricts itself till some fixed IntervalEndTime (about an hour ago from now). The command line does not impose time restrictions:
Code:
./amqsmon -m QM -t statistics -b

Is there anything substantial I am missing?

More general question: is there some source of good practices of using WMQ stats (for the performance troubleshooting and such).

Thanks
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You can set the time range on MS0P as well.
svu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

zpat wrote:
You can set the time range on MS0P as well.

Yes, I know. But for now I want to see the full stats - and MS0P does it. While amqmsmon shows only some subset, even though I do not ask for restrictions.

Additional oddity - the stats does not include DataFlowEngine. It only includes bipbroker with the single queue SYSTEM.BROKER.DEPLOY.REPLY
svu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: wmq statistics: strange results Reply with quote

Voyager

svu wrote:
Also, the results in WMQ Explorer (using MS0P) are different from the output of amqsmon utility.

What an idiot... amqsmon represents all stat intervals separately, while WMQ Explorer summarizes. I just should have scrolled down the file. So this is closed issue.

But the issue with the queue remains - why don't I see the queue that was actively used?
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Which stats have you switched on? Try the accounting options at QM level.
svu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

zpat wrote:
Which stats have you switched on? Try the accounting options at QM level.
I have MQI and Queue statistics on. Channel stats is "Medium".

The accounting parameters are all off. I thought accounting was kind of separate (controlling separately, separate queue, separate reading). Am I wrong?
svu
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Strangely, after I restarted the broker, I got all queues visible in the statistics. Why is that so? I could not find anything relevant in the docs.
Does it mean than statistics cannot properly handle queues that were already open when the statistics got enabled?
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Stats are collected only when queues are (re) opened after the point in time when the stats option is enabled.
svu
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

zpat wrote:
Stats are collected only when queues are (re) opened after the point in time when the stats option is enabled.
Where could I read about that? I did not find that on http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.csqzax.doc/mo13260_.htm

Right. Just found

Code:
Statistics messages are generated only for queues which are opened after statistics collection has been enabled.

Thank you! Surprisingly enough, the guy who mentored the IBM training course did not mention that (IIRC)

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » wmq statistics: strange results
Jump to: