ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Why do IBM call a Signer Certificate a "CA" certif

Why do IBM call a Signer Certificate a "CA" certif « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sjclark1
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Why do IBM call a Signer Certificate a "CA" certif Reply with quote

Apprentice

From this redbook:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4140.pdf

Section 2.5
Code:

To set up client authentication, we need to perform the following steps:
1. Create a self-signed certificate for the client.
2. Add the certification authority certificate to the queue manager.
3. Change the server connection channel to request client authentication.
4. Re-test.

Then 2.5.1:

Code:

Now the WebSphere MQ client has a certificate, which it presents to the queue manager when the client connects. To validate the client's certificate, the queue manager needs the certification authority (CA) certificate.

Then 2.5.2:

Code:

2.5.2 Installing the CA part in the queue manager's key repository
This task consists of the following steps, executed on the queue manager
machine:
1. Copy or transfer the CA (<user ID>.arm) file to the client.
2. Add the CA file to the queue manager's key repository.

I assume I have misunderstood 'CA' which I took to mean a certificate from some external third party like Verisign. Does CA therefore mean any 'signer' certificate containing a public key? I'm a little confused.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

There's a difference between CA signed certificates and self-signed certificates.

In general, the signer of a certificate is the entity that asserts that the certificate is valid and represents a known trusted entity.
sjclark1
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

In the example above:

Are the certificates in #1 and #2 based on the same thing, i.e. the CA version is just the public key part of #1?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

sjclark1 wrote:
In the example above:

Are the certificates in #1 and #2 based on the same thing, i.e. the CA version is just the public key part of #1?

Yes.

That's what self-signed means.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why do IBM call a Signer Certificate a "CA" ce Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sjclark1 wrote:
I assume I have misunderstood 'CA' which I took to mean a certificate from some external third party like Verisign.

You can use an external 3rd party; many sites use an internal CA as well as or instead of to produce certificates for internal use cheaply.

Basically a CA is someone you trust that signs a certificate saying they believe the owner of the certificate is who they are. If all you're trying to prove is that the Billing application really is what's trying to connect to the Ledger system, a certificate signed by a CA under the control of Mr. Smith in the Security deptartment is probably good enough.

If you're trying to prove to the NYSE that it's your Trading application trying to sell $1,000,000 of IBM stock, they may not trust Mr. Smith.
sjclark1
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

mqjeff wrote:

Yes.

That's what self-signed means.

Great, thanks. Another question answered by the MQ Jedi Council.
sjclark1
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Why do IBM call a Signer Certificate a "CA" ce Reply with quote

Apprentice

Vitor wrote:

Basically a CA is someone you trust that signs a certificate saying they believe the owner of the certificate is who they are.

Got it, thanks. So anyone can be a CA in theory. I do think the name "Certification Authority" is a little bit misleading as it implies they are some important "authority" but who am I to argue with 15 years of MQ SSL convention?

Thanks all!

Last edited by sjclark1 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

A self-signed certificate is its own "CA". IBM documentation has a bit of a reputation on this site for being sometimes a little...confusing?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

A certificate authority is not an MQ term. It's an SSL term.

It represents a specific entity that issues certificates, and is presumed to have taken steps to validate the identity of the person that the certificate represents.

SSL is all about a web of trust - I don't know you, but you have a certificate that was signed by someone I do trust, so I trust you. This is where the phrase "trust store" comes from - it's the container for certificates that are trusted, rather than the holder for certificates that represents a personal identity.

In the case of a self-signed certificate, the entity that signs the certificate is the same entity that the certificate represents. In the web-of-trust, it's "I do know you and i trust you, so when you present a certificate that you say belongs to you, I believe you.".

In the case of a CA-signed certificate, the entity that signs the certificate is a different entity than the certificate represents.

And, again, Vitor's fine analogy about the trustworthiness of the entity that is acting as a CA applies.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Why do IBM call a Signer Certificate a "CA" ce Reply with quote

Poobah

sjclark1 wrote:
So anyone can be a CA in theory.

As described by my colleagues, in practice (as opposed to theory), there is a big difference between internally-generated certificates, and those from a trusted 3rd-party CA (like VeriSign, for example). The big difference is one of trust.

Please use the terms carefully when working with your security folks, management, auditors.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
A certificate authority is not an MQ term. It's an SSL term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_authority

Which I was amused to note come with a tag "This article may be confusing or unclear to readers".
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

What could possibly be confusing about security? I forced myself to pass the CISSP exam (6 hours) but it's not an experience I am keen to repeat.
sjclark1
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Update -- I know where my confusion came from! This blog which I read last week:

http://hursleyonwmq.wordpress.com/2007/02/05/an-introduction-to-ssl-configuration/

While I have found that blog useful for various things and I don’t like criticising anyone who does a blog to help others, it describes as CA as being the alternative path to a everyone-knows-everyone approach to certificate distribution:

Code:

“The way to solve this problem is by using a ‘certificate authority’ (CA). Every queue manager has a copy of the public key of that certificate authority in it’s key repository, and every new queue manager’s certificate is signed by that CA."

If you read the blog you’ll get what I mean. Now I fully understand the point being made – it is easier if you get one single trusted signer to sign all future certificates. But the issue is the term ‘certificate authority’ is introduced and implied to mean a signer who signs multiple different certificates, whereas the discussion on this forum confirms that is not necessarily the case.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

sjclark1 wrote:
If you read the blog you’ll get what I mean. Now I fully understand the point being made – it is easier if you get one single trusted signer to sign all future certificates. But the issue is the term ‘certificate authority’ is introduced and implied to mean a signer who signs multiple different certificates, whereas the discussion on this forum confirms that is not necessarily the case.

No, again. CA has a specific, non-mq standard meaning, and MQ uses that meaning.

But you should not think of the trust store as having anything to do with CAs.

It's merely the place that you put the certificates you trust.

Some of those certificates may well be from a CA. Some of them may not be.

When you create a self-signed certificate, you are not creating a CA-signed certificate where the CA happens to also be you. (despite that I said something that implied that earlier).

When you create a self-signed certificate, you are creating a cert and then signing it. If you do this, then the same key is put into both the client keystore and the server trust store.

You can create a CA, for internal or external use, and use that to sign certificates (one or more). If you do this, then the CA signer certificate is put into the server trust store and the signed certificate is put into the client key store.

Again, this is all "standard nomenclature" for SSL in general.
sjclark1
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

In general I get the principals being discussed here, but some doubts remain -- for example are the two statements below not contradictory?

exerk wrote:

A self-signed certificate is its own "CA".

mqjeff wrote:

When you create a self-signed certificate, you are not creating a CA-signed certificate where the CA happens to also be you.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Why do IBM call a Signer Certificate a "CA" certif
Jump to: