ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » RFH characters causing issues

RFH characters causing issues « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
LouML
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: RFH characters causing issues Reply with quote

Partisan

A Java developer has come to me with another issue.

He has been testing his JMS app on a Solaris 10 box with MQ Server 7.0.0.0. and it's been working fine.

He tried to migrate it to a Production server still running 6.0.2.5 and is getting some RFH characters that crashes his Perl parser.

He sent me the following link thinking this is the problem

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wchelp/v5r6/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.commerce.integration.doc/tasks/tcvtboutboundmessaging.htm

Code:
Problem:

When sending a message to a backend system with WepSphere MQ, unexpected characters show up in the front of the xml message. For example, from the WebSphere Commerce logs:

com.ibm.commerce.messaging.outboundservice.Messaging.sendReceiveImmediate() Message content is:
Solution:

The default value is "JMS" when a JNDI entry is defined for an outbound queue. However, if the targetClient field is not changed to "MQ", unexpected characters will appear at the beginning of the messages sent by WebSphere Commerce on these 2 queues.

1.Open the WebSphere Application Server Administrative Console, for example: http://fully_qualified_hostname:9090/admin
2.Login with your User ID. Note: The User ID does not require a password, and does not need to be a User ID of a user in the local user registry. It is only used to track user-specific changes to configuration data. Security is NOT enabled.
3.Change the queue destination defined for the outbound queues named JMSOutboundQueue and JMSErrorQueue. Enter "MQ" for the targetClient field instead of "JMS".

However, we're not running WebSphere Application Server Administrative Console, so I don't know what he's talking about.

I've searched here and found this, but I think this is the opposite issue.

http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53619&highlight=propctl

This looks like it works on V6 but not on V7, where our issue is the opposite.
LouML
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Ignore. Yet another case of the developers sending me on a wild goose chase.

After corraling me into a meeting with management, and having me do their debugging for them, it turns out that some messages actually have no data after the RFH header, causing the Perl parser (which is looking for <?xml...) to crap out.

<RANT>
Now that I proved to them that it's the data source, or the JMS app Putting the messages to the queue that is the problem, I get a lot of 'thanks for the help' and 'pats on the back'....... sheeesh

I am the only MQ person for the entire firm. It's why I was hired. Since being hired, they've decided that MQ Support does not require ONE full time employee, let alone a team. So, I have other duties which dilute my time for actual MQ maintenence. and am reduced to making half-assed changes and then extreme firefighting when there is a 'problem'.

Gotta find a new place....
</RANT>
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

LouML wrote:
I am the only MQ person for the entire firm. It's why I was hired. Since being hired, they've decided that MQ Support does not require ONE full time employee, let alone a team. So, I have other duties which dilute my time for actual MQ maintenence. and am reduced to making half-assed changes and then extreme firefighting when there is a 'problem'.

I bet you also have razor-sharp control procedures, automated build of all code, single key press deploy and a plan to upgrade to Power 7....

<swallows anti-sarcasm pills>

It's a depressingly familiar story. Particually depressing as I have similar problems. If I thought I could swing the budget I'd offer you a place here.

Let's get real. First I have to find a way of getting any of my suggestions adopted. Then I can work on team size.

(Currently we're too busy delivering code to the business to address any procedural or infrastructure problems like why we can't deliver code to the business.....)
SAFraser
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

And then there's the other one-person operation thing, when management says "Oh, by the way, would you teach <insert a yo-ho's name> about MQ so you have a backup?" As if MQ is a hobby that a WAS admin or a DBA can learn in their spare time.

Good luck, LouML.....
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

SAFraser wrote:
And then there's the other one-person operation thing, when management says "Oh, by the way, would you teach <insert a yo-ho's name> about MQ so you have a backup?" As if MQ is a hobby that a WAS admin or a DBA can learn in their spare time.

Good luck, LouML.....

I thought that's when you know you're gonna be made obsolete and replaced by a consultant ...
LouML
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

SAFraser wrote:

Good luck, LouML.....

That is exactly what happened. I've had three different potential backups. All failed miserably. The first just didn't bother to take is seriously but was valuable in his own area, so he just went back to that. The second didn't want it and wound up leaving the firm. The third was actually very interested in it, took an admin class and all. Of course he worked for a different manager who decided he did not want to share his resource.

fjb_saper wrote:
I thought that's when you know you're gonna be made obsolete and replaced by a consultant ...

I actually thought that was the plan for the third guy.

Hey FJB, let me know if you need a 'backup'. I'm in your area

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » RFH characters causing issues
Jump to: