ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » backward migration V7 -> V6 on z/os

backward migration V7 -> V6 on z/os « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
djima70
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: backward migration V7 -> V6 on z/os Reply with quote

Hi all,

Is it possible to Backward migrate from MQ V701 to MQ V6??

We intsalled backward migration PTF's but could not find any info concerning what to do with eraly code?

Any Idea?

Djima
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

The early code needs to be at the highest version of WMQ queue managers that you intend to run.

So, are you asking if you can install an older version of the early code (v6, for example), then yes; but newer (v7) qmgrs will/may/might not function correctly, or at all.

If you are asking if you can leave the early code at a newer version (like v7), but continue to run v6 qmgrs, then yes.

JCL DD statements in the SCSQPROC that starts a qmgr instance usually have the version imbedded in the DSName parameter.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: backward migration V7 -> V6 on z/os Reply with quote

Poobah

djima70 wrote:
Hi all,

Is it possible to Backward migrate from MQ V701 to MQ V6??

We intsalled backward migration PTF's but could not find any info concerning what to do with eraly code?

Any Idea?

Djima

A quick search of google for 'wmq+early code' yielded an IBM webpage that describes early code. The WMQ for z/OS System Setup Guide has a step for installing early code.

If you are not a systems programmer, turn this over to a systems programmer.
djima70
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks bruce.
I tried on a test partition. Eraly code is indeed compatible and does not need to be migrated back. A queue manager migrated to V7 and backward migrated to V6 stays with early code V7. Thanks for your answers. Manu
Mr Butcher
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

keep in mind from MQV7 COMPAT mode you can fallback to MQV6. From MQV7 NEWFUNC mode this is no longer possible, then you can only fallback to MQV7 COMPAT.
9A5YY
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Yesterday I tried backward migration from MQ V7 to MQ V6. It works fine.
I installed compatibility PTFs before migration from MQ V6 to MQ V7.
I used early code V7. In the MSTR address space there were messages indicating that the backward migration was required and succesfully done
or messages CSQR034I, CSQI965I, CSQI967I etc.
dogbert64
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

9A5YY wrote:
Yesterday I tried backward migration from MQ V7 to MQ V6. It works fine.
I installed compatibility PTFs before migration from MQ V6 to MQ V7.
I used early code V7. In the MSTR address space there were messages indicating that the backward migration was required and succesfully done
or messages CSQR034I, CSQI965I, CSQI967I etc.

Which PTF did you install? I asked IBM about the toleration/coexistance PTF and they said that PK95835/UK51064 is the PTF I needed for toleration/coexistance, but it was superseded by UK65882. So I installed UK65882, and the HOLDDATA with it didn't talk about any new DB2 Binds or anything like that...just DOC changes. But I have found other IBM documents which indicated that toleration/coexistance PTF has HOLDDATA which indicates new Binds to be run, and that you should observe the instructions in it. Am I missing something?
djima70
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: tollerate and backward migration PTF's Reply with quote

Hi Phil, IBM gave me this link : http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg27006519

I hope you will find where you were looking for.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » backward migration V7 -> V6 on z/os
Jump to: