ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing

MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
keyswest
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing Reply with quote

Novice

Hi All,

We are trying to implement Multi instance queue manager in MQ V7. The documentation available so far indicates that it works only in active/passive (standby) mode and active/active mode can't be setup. Am i right?

So does it support only HA and not load balancing? Also can a cluster of queue managers be set up as multi instance or only stand alone queue managers?

We are trying to move from Windows to AIX with V7, it will be great if i can get some suggestions/best practices about this or tips on where to look for the right information.

Thanks,
Krish
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Well, you can run an active / active setup but you need 2 qmgrs for that.
In the active / passive set up there is only one qmgr involved. One of its instances is active the other one is standby.

Can a clustered qmgr (MQ cluster) be setup as a multi-instance qmgr?

I haven't tried but I believe the answer is yes. However there is a caveat: ALL qmgrs in the cluster need to be at level 7.0.1.3 at minimum!

Have fun
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

keyswest wrote:
So does it support only HA and not load balancing?

Multi-instance is for HA, load balancing has been provided by clustering since v5.3

keyswest wrote:
Also can a cluster of queue managers be set up as multi instance or only stand alone queue managers?

Any queue manager (subject to being v7.x obviously) can be set up as MI; it's participation or not in a cluster is irrelevent to this.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Vitor wrote:
Any queue manager (subject to being v7.x obviously) can be set up as MI; it's participation or not in a cluster is irrelevant to this.

Sorry to (respectfully) disagree.

If you are setting up a V7 qmgr in a cluster as a MI qmgr, you better make sure that ALL qmgrs in the cluster are at a level that supports MI, otherwise the autodefined cluster sender may not make any sense to a qmgr at a lesser level...
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing Reply with quote

Jedi

Vitor wrote:
Multi-instance is for HA, load balancing has been provided by clustering since v5.3

I thought it was 5.1.

But my memory may be incorrect.
fatherjack
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing Reply with quote

Knight

fjb_saper wrote:
...otherwise the autodefined cluster sender may not make any sense to a qmgr at a lesser level...

If this is the case, then what you are saying is that all Qmgrs in a cluster need to be at the same level, irrespective of whether MI qmgrs are being used. Please clarify.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing Reply with quote

Jedi Council

fatherjack wrote:
fjb_saper wrote:
...otherwise the autodefined cluster sender may not make any sense to a qmgr at a lesser level...

If this is the case, then what you are saying is that all Qmgrs in a cluster need to be at the same level, irrespective of whether MI qmgrs are being used. Please clarify.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to state that all queue managers in a cluster must support the chaining of CONNAMEs, i.e. if an MI queue manager is part of a cluster, all the queue managers within the cluster must have the ability to natively address that queue manager.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing Reply with quote

Grand Master

mvic wrote:
Vitor wrote:

I thought it was 5.1.

It didn't actually work very well until 5.3...
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
mvic wrote:
Vitor wrote:

I thought it was 5.1.

It didn't actually work very well until 5.3...

On sober and mature reflection, it might have been introduced earlier than v5.3.

But I agree with my most worthy associate that v5.3 was the first version worth attempting it on.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
Perhaps it would be more accurate to state that all queue managers in a cluster must support the chaining of CONNAMEs, i.e. if an MI queue manager is part of a cluster, all the queue managers within the cluster must have the ability to natively address that queue manager.

That's a much better way of putting it.
keyswest
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions. I will setting up the dev environment for MQ v7 using clustering for load balancing and HA through Multi Instance in the next couple of weeks.

I will share my findings with you guys...once again thanks for your inputs...
kimmyj
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I've just set up MI QM in a cluster.

then I found this PDF with do's and don'ts in and switched my FR to another qmgr....
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27018127&aid=1

We are on latest version - so no issues of chaining connames.

Hope yours went OK as well!
ayeh
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

fjb_saper wrote:
Well, you can run an active / active setup but you need 2 qmgrs for that.
snip...

Is running 2 qmgrs in an active/active MI configuration really possible? I'm still in the (rapid) research phase, so if there are great doc references, I would appreciate any and all comments.

Arthur

Old time MQ'er that hasn't touched V7 before.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

don't misunderstand what MI provides.

MI is still an active-passive setup, not an active-active setup.

So when we do talk about an active-active MI configuration, we are discussing two separate active-passive queue managers.
mvic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

mqjeff wrote:
So when we do talk about an active-active MI configuration, we are discussing two separate active-passive queue managers.

Just as with HACMP et al?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » MQ V7 multi-instance queue manager HA vs Load balancing
Jump to: