ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Difference in how the MSGSOUT count is incremented

Difference in how the MSGSOUT count is incremented « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Difference in how the MSGSOUT count is incremented Reply with quote

Poobah

Here is what the info center says:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.csqzaj.doc/sc12840_.htm

Quote:
"MSGSOUT The number of messages removed from the queue by destructive (non-browse) MQGET calls since the statistics were last reset.

The count includes messages removed from the queue in units of work that have not yet been committed, but the count is not decremented if the units of work are subsequently backed out. The maximum displayable value is 999 999 999; if the number exceeds this value, 999 999 999 is displayed."

Here is my test cases. Is this not functioning correctly / consistently, or am I interpreting the results wrong?

MQ 7.0.0 on the mainframe
Queue#1
Put 10 messages with short expiry.
Queue depth stays at 10.
When the messages are finally purged from the queue, either by an app doing an MQGET and trying to get the expired message, or the internal MQ Expiry Scavenger cleans them up, the MSGSOUT count does not get incremented. I expected this.

Queue#2
Put 10 messages with unlimited expiry.
When I browse the queue, MSGSOUT count shows 10. I did not expect this. Its bad - browses that do not remove messages are making the MSGSOUT count go up on z/OS.

MQ 7.0.1.4 on z/Linux (same behavior on MQ 6.0.2.8 on Linux x86-64)
Queue #1
Put 10 messages with short expiry.
Queue depth stays at 10.
When the messages are finally purged from the queue, either by an app doing an MQGET and trying to get the expired message, or the internal MQ Expiry Scavenger cleans them up, the dequeue count does get incremented. I did not expect this. Messages going away due to expiry are driving up the MSGSOUT count and making it seem like an app consumed them.

Queue #2
Put 10 messages with unlimited expiry.
When I browse the queue, MSGSOUT count stays at zero. I expected this.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Difference in how the MSGSOUT count is incremented
Jump to: