ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » MCA User ID

MCA User ID « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
phani_16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: MCA User ID Reply with quote

Novice

Hi,

I have a server connection channel for queue manager " QMC01 " and the MCA user id for the same is set to " junk " user.

Now i have a client application and the user id is set to " test " for the userID field MQEnvironment class . ( MQEnvironment.userID = "test" ).

Though i have set a different user id from the client application,i could still able to put a message in the queue. Want to know whether i have missed something ? Want to know whether the MCA user is dependent on the user id with which we logon to the m/c ?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The advantage of the MCAUSER is that it is ALWAYS the ID that is used, regardless of what the client application has said the user is.

It REPLACES everything that is passed in.

Use SSL and SSLPEER to provide client authentication and matching.
phani_16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Jeff,

I couldn't understand the statement " The advantage of the MCAUSER is that it is ALWAYS the ID that is used, regardless of what the client application has said the user is "

My question is then whatz the use of having a MCA user for a channel. I thought that any application connects to this channel should use the user set for this channel and if the MCAUSER replaces the client user id everytime,then there is no point in setting it and rather leave it a blank.
rama1977
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phani_16 wrote:
if the MCAUSER replaces the client user id everytime,then there is no point in setting it and rather leave it a blank.

if it is leave as blank then application can do MQEnvironment.userID = "mqm" and control queue manager.

But if it set to "test" then application can only do what test user is allowed no matter what application sets
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The question is if you can trust your applications to send the right thing or not.

If you leave MCAUSER blank, then I can write an application that says that it is the "mqm" user, and then have complete control of your queue manager without you knowing it.

If you set MCAUSER to 'junk', then I can not use this channel to connect as any user other than 'junk', and will only and always have the permissions given to the user 'junk'.

If you want to then make sure that I'm allowed to connect as the user 'junk', you can use SSL and ensure that I have a correct certificate and SSLPEER to make sure my certificate matches the rules for being the user 'junk'.
phani_16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.
The statement below seems to be contradictory to the one which you mentioned earlier.

" If you set MCAUSER to 'junk', then I can not use this channel to connect as any user other than 'junk', and will only and always have the permissions given to the user 'junk'. "

If this is the case,then i should get an error for the all other user ids set from the client applications for which i connect to this channel.

Hi rama,

The user " test " is a test user ( doesn't belong to mqm group) and doesn't have any permissions set.

So how come it is able to put the messages in the queue.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

phani_16 wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.
The statement below seems to be contradictory to the one which you mentioned earlier.

" If you set MCAUSER to 'junk', then I can not use this channel to connect as any user other than 'junk', and will only and always have the permissions given to the user 'junk'. "

If this is the case,then i should get an error for the all other user ids set from the client applications for which i connect to this channel.

Hi rama,

The user " test " is a test user ( doesn't belong to mqm group) and doesn't have any permissions set.

So how come it is able to put the messages in the queue.

Because you have set permissions at the user level in a Unix/Linux environment. This is a no - no. You should only set permissions at a group level and it is good practice to also do so in windows.

In Unix permissions set at a user level set permissions for the primary group of that user. You need to check all groups the user test belongs to and the permissions granted to each of those groups. The least restrictive will apply.

Have fun
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Are you absolutely sure you have set authorities for user 'junk'?* Are you absolutely sure that you have MCAUSER('junk') set in the SVRCONN channel?* Are you absolutely sure that the client is using that SVRCONN channel?

* where 'junk' is the userid
phani_16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi exerk,

The user 'junk' belongs to a group "Users" which is added to the OAM profiles and have set the authorities.

I'm absolutely sure that i'm using the user id 'junk' for the channel ( ie MCAUSER='junk') . The queue manager doesn't have any other channels and does contain only one server channel. Also the channel name is set in the client application.

So don't know where exactly i'm missing the point.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

if you are on a Unix/Linux box, what is the output of
Code:
id junk
?
phani_16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi,

i'm running this on a windows m/c .
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Again, with an MCAUSER of ('junk'), then everything that the user junk can do, then everyone who connects can do.

So is the application able to put to a queue that the user 'junk' does not have permission to use? Or just able to put to a queue that the user specified in the code does not have permission to?
phani_16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

The application could able to put messages to a queue for which 'junk' user doesn't have permissions to use.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

phani_16 wrote:

"Jeff: If you set MCAUSER to 'junk', then I can not use this channel to connect as any user other than 'junk', and will only and always have the permissions given to the user 'junk'. "

No error is generated. If MCAUSER is set on the SVRCONN, any setting made by the client app is silently ignored.

Unless you also use a security exit &/orr SSL, do not design apps that require a MQ client userid to be set in the app. It is a major security risk because it is too easy to abuse and obtain full admin rights to the Queue Manager and access any queue.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

For each group the user junk is a member of run following command

Code:
dmpmqaut -m <yourqmgr>  -g <groupname>
also run:
dmpmqaut -m <yourqmgr> -p junk

Happy troubleshooting

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » MCA User ID
Jump to: