ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » multi brokers

multi brokers « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
katie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: multi brokers Reply with quote

i created a broker on solaris with broker database in oracle.
now i need to create another broker ...
i want to confirm that i have to use the same .odbc.ini file to create another dsn for 2nd broker with another oracle database instance.
i am little confused here.how would i use the same .odbc.ini file to create dsn for 2nd broker ?

thanks all

katie
Galichet
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi Kati,

I've had the same question in my environment (Unix AIX & DB2) because I had to create 3 brokers (Development, Integration & Production). Each broker need its own Databases. You cannot use the same Broker Database for all your brokers.
I've defined 3 odbc.ini files, 3 profiles (a profile for each environment) and 3 instances.
A environment variable is necessary in this configuration, this is the ODBCINI variable that specify the full path of the odbc.ini file for each profile.
In that case, all environment were separated.

I hope that will help you to design your environment.
tchagan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

we have an AIX environment with 12 brokers running, all using the same database. I have not seen any documentation that says that you need separate database instances for each broker. We have four separate projects using four separate config managers each with 3 brokers (dev, sit, uat) all using one database instance (Oracle in this case but should make no difference if DB2).

cheers

Terry
duffMan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

We to run multiple brokers on the same machine. In our case we do use different databases but in the same instance of DB2. All of our broker databases are defined in the same .odbc.ini file.

Jason
Lisa
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Multi Brokers Reply with quote

Master

All,
We are running four brokers on one HP-UX server. Dev, SIT, UAT and QAP. These brokers share the same database.

Lisa
katie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the requirement is to have multiple brokers on the same machine...pointing to different database.
i dont think i have to have multiple .odbc.ini files . please confirm.
tchagan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

I think you require one odbc.ini file that points to your other databases. i.e.

DBID1=MERANT 3.60 Oracle 8 Driver
DBID2=MERANT 3.60 Oracle 8 Driver
DBID3=MERANT 3.60 Oracle 8 Driver

[DBID1]
Driver=/usr/opt/mqsi/merant/lib/UKor815.so
Description=Oracle8
ServerName=DBID1
LogonID=myuser
Password=mypassword
EnableDescribeParam=1
OptimizePrepare=1

[DBID2]
Description=Oracle8
ServerName=DBID1
LogonID=myuser
Password=mypassword
EnableDescribeParam=1
OptimizePrepare=1

[DBID3]
Description=Oracle8
ServerName=DBID1
LogonID=myuser
Password=mypassword
EnableDescribeParam=1
OptimizePrepare=1

create your brokers, one against each of the DBIDn above with username and password as set up against your databases.

If you need DB2 then I think it would be the same apart from different driver etc.

Terry
warrenpage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I actually have a support request in to IBM about this at the moment.

This is specific to DB2 - I can't speak to Oracle (though the much of what is below would relate)

Here is the link

BrokerInstances [DATASOURCE] -> .odbc.ini[ODBCNAME] -> {db2cli.ini}[alias] -> DB2[DATABASE Name]

(** the db2cli.ini file entry is optional - see below**)

For DB2 remember to keep straight the differences between a DB2 instance(or database) and a Schema(creatorID/sqlid).

The Broker will access a particular DB2 instance/database via the datasource name, it will use a Schema in the database based on the Broker DataSourceUserID (see the createbroker command syntax).

So if you have multiple brokers using the same DB2 instance/database, each with their own Schema, things work fine. (eg. Broker A1 - Datasource X, uses schema A1 in database X, Broker A2 - Datasource X - uses schema A2 in database X.)

You could also have each broker hit a different DB2 instance/database, but that would require changing the datasource for every compute node in each broker (a pain in the %$@). You can write a script to export all your flows and replace the datasource name with the correct datasource for the current broker, then re-import (or even better - change it before you import the first time).

The trick would be to allow each broker to use the same datasource for compute nodes, yet hit different DB2 database/instances by broker. The answer *SHOULD* be in the .odbc.ini file.

Each broker CAN have a different .odbc.ini file - just change the $ODBCINI environment parameter to point to a customized version before running the mqsistart broker-name command.

So to get x brokers with the same datasource using diff databases, (**according to the manual**) you **SHOULD** be able to do this

==========================
.odbc.ini for Broker 1

[ODBC Data Sources]
X=IBM DB2 ODBC Driver

[X]
Driver=/u01/db2data/db2mqsi/sqllib/lib/db2_36.o
Description=DB2 ODBC Database
Database=A1

.odbc.ini for Broker 2

[ODBC Data Sources]
X=IBM DB2 ODBC Driver

[X]
Driver=/u01/db2data/db2mqsi/sqllib/lib/db2_36.o
Description=DB2 ODBC Database
Database=A2
==========================

*** HOWEVER *** the Database parameter is Ignored, and DB2 just uses the ODBC/Datasource name as the Database/instance name. So in both cases it will try to access Database X, rather than Databases A1 and A2.

Now you could alter the db2cli.ini file with a similar entry

[X]
DBAlias=A1

And this would point the WMQI/ODBC datasource X to DB2 Database/Instance A1, BUT there is only one db2cli.ini file in the system, so we are out of luck redirecting Broker 2.

I have been told to try using dbalias in the .odbc.ini file, and that didn't work either. The IBM manual has this nice circular reference when describing the .odbc.ini and db2cli.ini file that leads nowhere so that didnt help either. I have also tried entries (Database, database, Alias, alias, dbalias, DBAlias - nothing works {i have been told it is case insensitive, so my case changes made no diff}

So while other databases (e.g. Oracle/Informix) may allow redirecting via the .odbc.ini entries (can't speak to that). At present, unless I am missing the magic text entry for the DB2 .obdc.ini entry, it appears that DB2 doesnt do that, and defaults to using the ODBC name as the Database name.

If anyone has found a trick to setting this up - please let me know.

For right now, the change script method mentioned above will be our solution to the problem (though convincing the DBAs that we only need one DB2 instances is a close second - but out of our control).

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » multi brokers
Jump to: