ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » WebSphere MQ using .net client and SSL

WebSphere MQ using .net client and SSL « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
simon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: WebSphere MQ using .net client and SSL Reply with quote

Novice

I'm looking for a little advices fromt he people out there
I have been tasked to create windows serivces that will connect to a Websphere MQ version 6 QueueManager on a windows machine and cosume the messages

the requirements i have are
Must be in .net
Must use SSL
Must use Pub/sub
must be transactional

a co work has tried but not had much luck so have been asked to have a look at it.

What would be the best way for me to do this.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Are you intending to use a .Net client connection, or will this be binding locally?

Doh! Stupid question - you specified SSL! I'll rephrase the question: is the client on the same server as the queue manager?
simon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Nope client will be on a different windows cluster server to the one that is hostin the Websphere MQ V6
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

simon wrote:
Nope client will be on a different windows cluster server to the one that is hostin the Websphere MQ V6

OK, then make sure the client host server is at WMQ V7.0 and use an mqclient.ini file and CMS key store(s) to abstract connection information dependency from the client (it'll be an unmanaged client (managed ones can't use SSL) - all it will need to specify is a queue manager name (and if you set up the connection properly you can use * as a queue manager name) and input/output queues. If you can, try and ensure the application runs under an identifiable userid (client SSL certificate labelling pertains). Depending on the transactionality required, e.g. distributed UoWs, you will have to use the 'vanilla' client or the Extended Transactional Client (ETC), which attracts a license fee.
simon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

exerk wrote:

OK, then make sure the client host server is at WMQ V7.0 and use an mqclient.ini file and CMS key store(s) to abstract connection information dependency from the client (it'll be an unmanaged client (managed ones can't use SSL) .

Is that XMS?

exerk wrote:

If you can, try and ensure the application runs under an identifiable userid (client SSL certificate labelling pertains). Depending on the transactionality required, e.g. distributed UoWs, you will have to use the 'vanilla' client or the Extended Transactional Client (ETC), which attracts a license fee.

Its going to be a windows services so i ca set that to run as any account i want to

ad what is the 'Vanilla' Client
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

simon wrote:
...Is that XMS?...

That's the first time you've mentioned it and as far as I am aware the answer is no as XMS uses a ConnectionFactory object, so using a CCDT etc. is out of the picture.

simon wrote:
...what is the 'Vanilla' Client?...

The free one that doesn't do distributed UoWs, the one that everybody thinks of as 'the client'.
simon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

exerk wrote:
simon wrote:
...Is that XMS?...

That's the first time you've mentioned it and as far as I am aware the answer is no as XMS uses a ConnectionFactory object, so using a CCDT etc. is out of the picture.

Have been looking around on the IBM Websphere site for any ideas and came across it as a MQ client tool for .net is it not any good then?

exerk wrote:
simon wrote:
...what is the 'Vanilla' Client?...

The free one that doesn't do distributed UoWs, the one that everybody thinks of as 'the client'.

Do you have any exampls. I really not that familiary with the whole MQ product.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

simon wrote:
Have been looking around on the IBM Websphere site for any ideas and came across it as a MQ client tool for .net is it not any good then?

The decision to use, or not use, XMS is one for your site and dependent on site requirements, site architectural philosophy, and site standards, and of course whether XMS .Net or 'ordinary' .Net is suitable for the task.

simon wrote:
Do you have any exampls. I really not that familiary with the whole MQ product.

Like many people before you, at many sites, you have been put into an uncomfortable position by management, whom maybe do not understand the middleware and think that WMQ is just a piece of electric string (if they understand it that far) - you have my sympathy. The best thing I can suggest is that you request your management provide training (there are admin and developer-centred courses available), or that management engage your WMQ Admins to provide developer support. The Quick Beginnings for Windows manual contains all the necessary information required to set up and configure a client, which you can use to acquire a basic understanding, and there are further comprehensive sections within the Info Centre that will expand it. Tell your management that you require at least a month or so to get your head around it, or that they are going to have to hire in consultancy resource (not a plug - I'm way too busy). Good luck!
simon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Oh well that at least made me laugh . Onto the blind coding then
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
simon wrote:
...Is that XMS?...

I would be surprised if XMS is not able to use a CCDT as in JMS one of the ways of building the connection factory is to point it to the CCDT url... I would imagine that XMS has an equivalent for that.

Have fun.
simon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

CCDT? is that something like certificate data store?
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

simon wrote:
CCDT? is that something like certificate data store?

No, it's the Client Channel Definition Table, a file holding definitions of CLNTCONN (Client Connection) ends of a channel pair.

fj, the Info Centre states "...To enable an XMS .NET application to make secure connections to a WebSphere MQ queue manager, the relevant properties must be defined in the ConnectionFactory object...", which is what caught my eye, but buried away in a 'New Features' table somewhere is the fact that a CCDT can be used in WMQ V7.0. Thank you for the hint, another nugget of information for me to file away!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » WebSphere MQ using .net client and SSL
Jump to: