ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexIBM MQ SecurityAUTHOREV Enabled – Reason Code

AUTHOREV Enabled – Reason Code View previous topic :: View next topic
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Maybe you guys like doing things the hard way? Me, I just fire up MO71 - browse the event queue and read the information.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
Maybe you guys like doing things the hard way? Me, I just fire up MO71 - browse the event queue and read the information.

At my current site the 'hard way' is trying to use the tool mandated for us, the name of which bears a striking resemblance to somewhere in Switzerland. I am fast losing the will to live in discussions about having a 'quick-look' tool such as our favourite MO71.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I suppose MO71 gets easier to use with practice. But I've never found it easy when I've tried.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

It is packed with features. I still am finding things out about it.

It would be great if IBM could give Paul Clarke some time to fix a few bugs and add some little improvements here and there.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:19 pm Post subject: Re: AUTHOREV Enabled – Reason Code Reply with quote

Poobah

rickwatsonb wrote:
I have enabled AUTHOREV and recycled the queue manager and am now trying to test the feedback from unauthorized events. When I put a message to a read-only queue via MQ Explorer events are written to the SYSTEM.ADMIN.QMGR.EVENT queue. The problem is that I do not see any mention of reason codes.

You don't need to restart the QM to turn Authority Events on or off.
The only reason code you will ever find for an Authority Event is 2035.
The main benefit of the Authority Events is that they will show you exactly what ID is having a problem with accessing the MQ object, and they will show the MQ API call in question along with the options used.

I use MO71 for this, since I live inside that Support Pack anyway. The only thing missing in MO71 in this regard is it doesn't decode the options used by the app on that MQ AI call. I use a little Perl script to decode the options value. I bet the other support packs (MS0P?) probably do that for you.

Take the time to get MO71 working. It will save you incredible amounts of time as an MQ Admin once you become familiar with it.
rickwatsonb
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Thank you all for the replies.

I tried to get M071 working but made more progress with MH05 and MS0B (MQ6.0.2.10).

I have installed MH05 and MS0B on all of the messaging servers in our lower environments. This has provided an easy way for me to read the SYSTEM.ADMIN.QMGR.EVENT queue.

We have been running “event free” in the lower environments for weeks now. I am now looking for the performance impact of running an enabled AUTHOREV in production.

The SYSTEM.ADMIN.QMGR.EVENT is written to for a queue manager recycle, and for any authority events. If there are no authority events occurring, can it be said that there is zero performance impact of having AUTHOREV enabled in production?

Is this advisable?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

rickwatsonb wrote:
The SYSTEM.ADMIN.QMGR.EVENT is written to for a queue manager recycle

Because you have Start / Stop events turned on. You can turn them off if you don't do anything useful with those particular event messages. (I think it would be cool if a future version of MQ allowed MQ Admins to target each Event type to its own queue.)

rickwatsonb wrote:
If there are no authority events occurring, can it be said that there is zero performance impact of having AUTHOREV enabled in production?

Is this advisable?

Nothing is free. But presumably the # of authority events you would be generating is extremely low compared to the overall volume of the QM. If you care to be aware of authority problems proactively (versus waiting till the apps come to you saying "The MQ is broken with 2035"), and you will do something with those event messages, go for it.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

MS0P displays many types of admin messages, including authority events, graphically in MQ explorer. Time for it to become part of the base product.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
MS0P displays many types of admin messages, including authority events, graphically in MQ explorer. Time for it to become part of the base product.

For those allowed to use it, useful. For those not, the point is moot.

MQSeries.net Forum IndexIBM MQ SecurityAUTHOREV Enabled – Reason Code
Jump to: