ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » How to configure secure channel connection in MQ 7.0?

How to configure secure channel connection in MQ 7.0? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
nabanita
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: How to configure secure channel connection in MQ 7.0? Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anybody help me to guide me to configure secure channel connection in MQ 7.0?

Thanks!!
Mr Butcher
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

read the manuals first. also search here. ssl seems to be your friend. in addition, there are security exits that can help. or both.

depends on what you exactly want to achieve....
nabanita
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Butcher,

I need to configure SSL on MQ 7.0. I am new to this MQ. Kindly help me to configure it.

Thanks!!
Nabanita.
Mr Butcher
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

go do some efforts on your own. ssl is very well described in the manuals, has been discussed here, there are also redbooks and supportpacs available.

if you are not interested in all that and just want the solution, then pay for it. this site is not a "we do your work for free" - service.
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Mr Butcher wrote:
go do some efforts on your own. ssl is very well described in the manuals, has been discussed here, there are also redbooks and supportpacs available.

if you are not interested in all that and just want the solution, then pay for it. this site is not a "we do your work for free" - service.

Additionally IBM offers several administration and development courses about MQ.
nabanita
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Buthcher,

Till now what ever post I have gone through none describes well about how to configure it. I only asked for help as I am new to it and I know well nobody here does free of work task. I asked to share knowledge not to send teaser.

Thanks!!
Nabanita
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

What type of channel? Client to QM, or QM to QM?
nabanita
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It's QM to QM.

Thanks!!
Nabanita
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

So you configure a keystore on each qm. Then you configure the sdr/rcvr channels to use SSL.
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

... which is described here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.mq.csqzas.doc/sy10920_.htm
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

And then you decide if securing the network layer actually meets any of your official criteria for "security".

Because just because the channel between two qms is secure, doesn't mean that in any way either of the QMs themselves are secure.
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

To be fair, this is quite a steep learning curve. There are some support pacs which help, one that checks the SSL set up is particularly useful.

Issues such as self-signed, or CA signed certs need to be thought about. But the documentation is the place to start, use the forum when you can't get it to work despite the documentation, rather than without it.
nabanita
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to who ever has replied me!!! Can you just let me know setting security between QM's will secure the channel also or do I need to secure the channel also separately?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

nabanita wrote:
I need to configure SSL on MQ 7.0. I am new to this MQ. Kindly help me to configure it.

The problem, especially with this topic, is there's no "help" we can provide that's better than the documented procedure. SSL (like many things) requires you to make a lot of decisions based on site requirements, site standards and similar. The example of CA or self signed from my worthy associate is a good example; we can't know what you've got set up, what you could set up or what you're allowed to set up.

You should also assume that at this point I've given the standard speech on how this forum isn't set up as a training resource and you'd get better training elsewhere.

As has been said in this thread, this forum is a good place to come when you've tried to set something up and can't get it to work.

If you're new to WMQ, I add my voice to the choir regarding formal training. This is not a simple product, and security is not the easiest part of it. Once you've got SSL configured, you'll then need to answer the question of mqjeff about if it's actually what you need.

This has nothing to do with being told by client or management to install SSL as a task. They may have said that's what they want, in many cases it's not what they mean or what they need.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

nabanita wrote:
Can you just let me know setting security between QM's will secure the channel also or do I need to secure the channel also separately?

The question is meaningless. How can you set security between queue managers without involving the channels, and how can you secure the channel independantly of the queue manager?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » How to configure secure channel connection in MQ 7.0?
Jump to: