ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » MQ Authorities for Java Clients

MQ Authorities for Java Clients « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
trotta
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: MQ Authorities for Java Clients Reply with quote

I have particular clients using MQ Client to send the data to a common inbound queue. Each of these clients use a specific outbound queue to receive the response back from the main system.

Each client has an AIX user which they are allowed to +put messages into the inbound queue ( but cannot get or browse the common inbound queue) and get messages from outbound queue (but cannot put messages there). By doing that, we can guarantee that each client (using SRVCONN) will touch its own outbound queue only.

What I'm wondering is about the Clients running on JAVA. They also use the ARM file and are not using TAB files to read the MQ parameters to get connected to the QManager.

So, talking to the Client owners, they told me that they are not using ANY user (AIX user) in theirs code. So, now I'm confuse about clients running on Java.

Since every client is using a TAB file (getting an userID inside of that file), but these ones running on Java are not using it, how the MCA users are set up for these clients ? How does the authorities can be managed over these JAVA clients ?
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ Authorities for Java Clients Reply with quote

Jedi

trotta wrote:
...Since every client is using a TAB file (getting an userID inside of that file), but these ones running on Java are not using it, how the MCA users are set up for these clients ? How does the authorities can be managed over these JAVA clients ?

The effective UserId that is used for authority checks is determined by the queue manager, not the TAB file. It depends on many factors, and is overridden by the MCAUSER setting on the SVRCONN channel, or a security exit (if you have one), or SSL.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ Authorities for Java Clients Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

trotta wrote:
Each client has an AIX user which they are allowed to +put messages into the inbound queue ( but cannot get or browse the common inbound queue) and get messages from outbound queue (but cannot put messages there). By doing that, we can guarantee that each client (using SRVCONN) will touch its own outbound queue only.

Hi,

Unless you / your company have implemented SSL or an MQ security solution then what you have is no real security other than accidental security. MQ has several big security holes that are easy to exploit.

Those sound like native (C/C++) MQ applications and MQ client library is setting the UserID.

Any native application can circumvent this and exploit the security hole.

trotta wrote:
What I'm wondering is about the Clients running on JAVA. They also use the ARM file and are not using TAB files to read the MQ parameters to get connected to the QManager.

Java applications have to explicitly set the UserID. Hence, they can select any UserID they want to use or not set any and use a security exploit of becoming the 'mqm' user (or MUSR_MQADMIN for Windows).

I have lots of posts about the security holes in MQ. Do a quick search for more information.

trotta wrote:
Since every client is using a TAB file (getting an userID inside of that file) ...

The CCDT (aka TAB) file has nothing to do with the setting of the UserID.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
KramJ
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

If MCAUSER is blank on the SVRCONN channel and the Java app is not setting the user ID it will connect as mqm.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
If MCAUSER is blank on the SVRCONN channel and the Java app is not setting the user ID it will connect as mqm.

A bit more technically: If there is no MCAUSER specified on the SVRCONN channel definition, the channel runs (subsequent MQI calls) with mqm authority.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
Quote:

A bit more technically: If there is no MCAUSER specified on the SVRCONN channel definition, the channel runs (subsequent MQI calls) with mqm authority.

Technically I think the channel in this scenario then runs under the authority of the ID that the listener process is running as, which is almost always mqm (or MUSR_MQADMIN on Windows).
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I stand (sit) corrected)

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » MQ Authorities for Java Clients
Jump to: