ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » The infamous Segment 8 problem

The infamous Segment 8 problem « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Deeko
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: The infamous Segment 8 problem Reply with quote

Acolyte

We've encountered the segment 8 problem before and gotten around it by altering the IPCCBaseAddress parameter.

We're now installing the latest MA88 (1.1.5) and MQ 5.2 CSD4 on AIX 4.3.3 and it seems to have reared it's ugly head again. We're running WAS 4.02 with native bind mode and we're thinking of changing the LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA=0xN0000000 variable to N=3. Dunno if this will fix it but can I ask for some context on this problem? Is it that MQ is hard coded to pickup up a specific data segment and if it's been allocated to another process it starts to protest?! The original PMR text would be nice!

Anyone any ideas why we're finding we have the problem again after installing CSD4?!

Regards,

Derek.
bower5932
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

MQSeries is hard-coded to pick up segment 8. With MQ 5.2, some relief was given in that you could specify an IPCCBaseAddress in the queue manager stanza of mqs.ini that would allow you to change this to another segment. With MQ 5.3, this has been fixed in that MQSeries can now use extended shared memory (EXTSHM).

I know that various version of WAS use a different memory model. Depending on which version you are using, you may find it more difficult to find a segment that works. This is where you start getting into funny things like the LDR_CNTRL. I've also seen situations where WAS has had to brought up with various switches to indicate various things to try and get MQ to work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deeko
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

bower5932 wrote:
MQSeries is hard-coded to pick up segment 8. With MQ 5.2, some relief was given in that you could specify an IPCCBaseAddress in the queue manager stanza of mqs.ini that would allow you to change this to another segment. With MQ 5.3, this has been fixed in that MQSeries can now use extended shared memory (EXTSHM).

I know that various version of WAS use a different memory model. Depending on which version you are using, you may find it more difficult to find a segment that works. This is where you start getting into funny things like the LDR_CNTRL. I've also seen situations where WAS has had to brought up with various switches to indicate various things to try and get MQ to work.

Thanks for the reply. We had actually moved to WAS 4.03 on that machine so it's beginning to look like that's the cuplrit!

I don't suppose you have any idea of what WAS switches are useful for trying to resolve this? We might just move to MQ 5.3 to fix this once and for all!!!

Regards,

Derek.
bower5932
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Try the following:

export LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA=0x50000000
export IBM_JAVA_MMAP_JAVA_HEAP=TRUE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » The infamous Segment 8 problem
Jump to: