ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » zOS WMQ High Availability - Queue Sharing Group?

zOS WMQ High Availability - Queue Sharing Group? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bay hoe san
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: zOS WMQ High Availability - Queue Sharing Group? Reply with quote

Centurion

Hello,

1. I have been tasked to assist customer to achieve HA (high availability) for their MQ setup. Theirs is just normal standalone distributed qmgr or cluster qmgrs with open sys - AIX, Sun and Windows. zOS qmgrs exist in a parallel sysplex with 2 LPARs. Some qmgrs are standalone in 1 LPAR, couple are clusters qmgrs in both LPARs with open sys qmgrs. My queries:
1. Is QSG able to achieve HA?
2. If so, how to proceed to setup? Any conversion required? Any program changes? Any redbook?
3. If not, what's the available techonology that I can do to assist customer to achieve HA?

2. Greatly appreciate any experience to share.
Thanks.

.Hoe San.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: zOS WMQ High Availability - Queue Sharing Group? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bay hoe san wrote:
1. Is QSG able to achieve HA?

Yes, but only on z/OS (obviously) and only for queue managers with access to the correct CF

bay hoe san wrote:
2. If so, how to proceed to setup?

Follow the steps in the documentation. Seriously. It's more important to do that on z/OS than on any of the more forgiving OS. z/OS achieves it's stability by rigidly enforicing rules. You'll also need to determine and plan for the assistance you'll need from other teams.

bay hoe san wrote:
Any conversion required?

The queue managers & queues will need to be altered. Think joining a cluster.

bay hoe san wrote:
Any program changes?

Probably not.

bay hoe san wrote:
Any redbook?

Probably. I've always used the InfoCentre.

bay hoe san wrote:
3. If not, what's the available techonology that I can do to assist customer to achieve HA?

z/OS is HA out of the box

bay hoe san wrote:
Greatly appreciate any experience to share.

It's a pain to set up because of the number of meetings you typically have to endure. But is simple enough.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
But is simple enough.

Setting up anything on z/OS requires mainframe-specific skills. Knowing WMQ on UNIX or Win does not meet this prerequisite.

Setting up the parallel sysplex environment to support the coupling facility for QSG requires more technical mainframe skills.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
Quote:
But is simple enough.

Setting up anything on z/OS requires mainframe-specific skills. Knowing WMQ on UNIX or Win does not meet this prerequisite.

I should have been more specific, and said that it's simple enough in the context of other z/OS tasks.

bruce2359 wrote:
Setting up the parallel sysplex environment to support the coupling facility for QSG requires more technical mainframe skills.

Hence the number of meetings I mentioned. Such set up is broadly outside the scope of any WMQ actions so you sit fat & happy waiting for the more technical mainframe skills to tell you they've finished. Or sit fat & bored in endless meetings while they explain why they've still not got it working.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
Or sit fat & bored in endless meetings while they explain why they've still not got it working.

No argument. There is no equivalent to meetings about WMQ on Win and UNIX.

z/OS is much more demanding. Since the CF is a real (not virtual) box, math is involved. RACF is involved. WMQ admin tasks are involved.

Ah, but once it works...
dogbert64
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

You also have to have DB2 on z/OS to bring up QSG. MQ using QSG must have DB2 for its own internal communcations (between QMs on different LPARs), as well as any messages > 63K must be inserted into a DB2 table. This is because the Coupling Facility has no address scheme which can handle > 63K.

I moved our 1 queue manager to a QSG running on 2 LPARs last year and I have to say that I am quite pleased. There are a few quirks to it, but it delivers the High Availability like IBM says it does.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: zOS WMQ High Availability - Queue Sharing Group? Reply with quote

Jedi

bay hoe san wrote:
Hello,
1. I have been tasked to assist customer to achieve HA (high availability) for their MQ setup.

Hello Hoe San. There are many possible approaches to HA. You need the customer to define their HA requirements. eg. What components can fail over, what components can be tolerated to be single points of failure, what is the business availability requirement (99.xxxx %), how much money do they have to spend on HA, what is the cost to the business if there is an unexpected outage. Then you can start to think about how this applies to MQ.

HTH
gouda
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

there are two nice pamphlets regarding QSG:
redp3636 and Redbook SG246864
First one is very good for overview, second one ha a chapter QSG

Regards

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » zOS WMQ High Availability - Queue Sharing Group?
Jump to: