ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Very large !!GHOST! folders in MQ file tree

Very large !!GHOST! folders in MQ file tree « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
pranaygupta
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Very large !!GHOST! folders in MQ file tree Reply with quote

Novice

Hi

We have a gateway application based on MQ and FTE. There are 3 queue managers in the system. The queue manager that acts as the coordination and command queue manager has grown to a rather large size of 700 MB and is still growing. Upon further investigation, we found that inside the queues directory, there are 21 !!GHOST!xxxxxx folders, and their total size is ~700MB.
We have faced this problem previously, where the queue manager had balooned to 11GB and we had to rebuild the system. Previously, we had set-up subscription on the SYSTEM.FTE topic, and believed that was the cause of the problwm but this time no such subscription exists. Yet, the problem is just as before.
We have tried deleting and recreating the model queues and that doesn't remove these ghost folders. Also, the continuously cleaning up these queues is not something that is an option in the production environment.
We have a windows server 2008 environ. with MQ v7.0.1 and FTE v7.0.2.

Let me know if I can provide any more information to help figuring out a solution for this.

Thanks
Pranay
fatherjack
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

I didn't know the answer the first time you posted. Posting it again isn't going to change that.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

To add to the good fathers sermon - please do NOT double post, or take a scatter-gun approach to the forums in which you do post.

Moving this one to the FTE forum (where it belongs!), and locking the one in the Java/JMS forum (which you could delete).
pranaygupta
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Sorry about that. I'll keep this in mind. I had the intention of deleting the old post in JMS but I couldn't find how to delete the post (yes, i know thats an invitation to ridicule, but my intentions were not to double post or use a scatter gun approach)

Wont happen again.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

pranaygupta wrote:
I couldn't find how to delete the post

Reply to your own post with something like "Moderator please delete this post" or indeed "Moderator please move to FTE section" will get it done.

But there's no ridicule in being unable to find the non-existent button.
pranaygupta
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks Vitor.

Any idea on the issue I'm facing?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
pranaygupta wrote:
I couldn't find how to delete the post

Reply to your own post with something like "Moderator please delete this post" or indeed "Moderator please move to FTE section" will get it done.

But there's no ridicule in being unable to find the non-existent button.

Done. I forgot that non-mods do not get a delete button
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

pranaygupta wrote:
Any idea on the issue I'm facing?

Nope, that's why I didn't comment on it.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It's my understanding that !GHOST! files are there to provide rapid allocation of storage for dynamic queues.

So it's not clear that their existence represents an issue.

Are you concerned about the storage space being used? Shouldn't you have done planning based on the size of your expected messages and data - including what you planned to ship through MQFTE?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

700 MB may look overly big to you. I consider it medium. A base for installing a qmgr being 4 GB...

As Jeff said the GHOST pool is being used to allocate quickly temporary queues. You might want to look at why you need so many temporary queues and what all goes through them... and how long they exist....

Also if you have trouble with a lot of temporary queues(over a few hundred) and the channels keeping them open too long to allow for proper reuse, you might want to check with IBM for the corresponding channel stanza...

Have fun
pranaygupta
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

700 MB is not a matter of concern, but the last time we let the queue manager grow, it ended up filling all the space on the disk. It had ballooned to 11 GB and would have probably gone further had space not run out. I was even unable to see any of the objects in this queue manager using MQ explorer. Such cancerous growth is surely not expected behaviour.
pranaygupta
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

And also, if these folders are temporary, shouldn't they disappear by themselves. All the times that I have checked the Queues directory for that queue manager, I have never seen one of the GHOST folders disappear. I've still got ones there from the day the queue manager was built.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Sounds like a PMR to me.
pranaygupta
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I did just that. Will post whatever I get from there. Thanks guys.
Gerd-in-ZA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Please check my other post if it provides the answer. Reply with quote

Novice

This item has been idle for about a year now. I just posted a possible resolution to the (much younger) post of "Millions of messages loaded into SYSTEM.MANAGED.DURABLE.XXXX"

Inside the "queues" directory should only be directories representing queues - your 21 ghost directories seem to be permanent dynamic queues representing the durable subscriptions I wrote about in that other post.

(I am theorizing here, it would be nice if you could verify this).

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Very large !!GHOST! folders in MQ file tree
Jump to: