ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » how many message flow instance is running currently.

how many message flow instance is running currently. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
lcl3977
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: how many message flow instance is running currently. Reply with quote

Apprentice

hi all,
As we know, we can configure the message flow addtional instance in the bar file.
then we deploy it to the execute group.
can I get the number of the running instance of this message flow currently?
is there some command or function in esql can do that?
thanks.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: how many message flow instance is running currently. Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

lcl3977 wrote:
hi all,
As we know, we can configure the message flow addtional instance in the bar file.
then we deploy it to the execute group.
can I get the number of the running instance of this message flow currently?
is there some command or function in esql can do that?
thanks.

The flowstats should tell you.
Alternatively and if nothing else has the queue open for input you could look at the queue's input count.
Esa
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hello lcl3977,

If I understood correctly, you would like to know the number of currently running threads so that you could adjust the behavior of your flow in runtime?

As far as I know there is no way to get that information from the broker. You will have to implement a counter yourself. I would do it this way:

1. Create a singleton java class for maintaining a thread counter. You will also have to synchronize the (static) methods that update the counter.

2. Add a java compute node in the beginning of the flow. In the evaluate method do like this:

Code:

try {
  - increment the thread counter
  - propagate the message
} finally {
  - decrement the thread counter
}

Now, in the actual flow, you can access the counter and get the number of currently running threads.

Of course the counter does not always tell the precise number of threads. Threads that have caught an exception and are still processing the catch path are not counted in. Well, you can put the same JCN in the beginning of the catch path as well. There is no way to know if there are threads that are currently processing messages in the input node, but you will get a good enough approximation, I think.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Please do not make any use of this information in your message flow logic.

You will entirely tie yourself in knots and end up with a confused and unmaintainable solution.

Please explain the business requirement you are attempting to meet with this technical question.
Esa
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

mqjeff wrote:

You will entirely tie yourself in knots and end up with a confused and unmaintainable solution.

Yes, writing a flow that depends on knowing the number of currently running threads does not sound like a good idea. But I think this person is planning to put the information in an exception message...

But that won't tie anybody in knots and make them end up with a confused and unmaintainable solution. Unless you mean my way of using java will do it, which I hope you don't.

Best Regards,

Esa
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Esa wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

Yes, writing a flow that depends on knowing the number of currently running threads does not sound like a good idea. But I think this person is planning to put the information in an exception message....

There's nothing to indicate that from here. Perhaps you know otherwise.

Esa wrote:
But that won't tie anybody in knots and make them end up with a confused and unmaintainable solution. Unless you mean my way of using java will do it, which I hope you don't.

No, doing it with a Java singleton is fine. But doing it in general is not a great idea.
Esa
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

mqjeff wrote:

No, I'm just guessing. The only reason i can think why anyone would like to do this is to try to track if certain exceptions only happen when there are several instances running simultaneously.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Esa wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

No, I'm just guessing. The only reason i can think why anyone would like to do this is to try to track if certain exceptions only happen when there are several instances running simultaneously.

If that were the case it would point to a design error for not taking into account concurrency problems, would it not?
This should be relatively easy to spot without having to go counting the flow instances while in error handling...
Esa
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Yes, if it is about a design problem. Could be something else, too. A problem with some external resource. Or a way for the developers to prove that there is nothing wrong with the design but the production environment is not correctly configured

lcl3977 has not come back so we cannot know why he wanted to know this or if this was what he wanted to know. Maybe he just wanted to know the number of the current thread...
lcl3977
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

thank all for your reply.
let me tell you about our program and problem.

my message flow has two ways input,the http input and mq input node.
when a lot of request come in,and the message flow process the message is too slow(because other system give response to my message flow is too slow).
and then the http request will time out.

the message flow instance is 200,and in that time,I find the http connect is about 150,
so I want to know how many instance is running that time.
lcl3977
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: how many message flow instance is running currently. Reply with quote

Apprentice

fjb_saper wrote:

Alternatively and if nothing else has the queue open for input you could look at the queue's input count.

in my message flow there is not only mq input node but also http input node.
and I have done a test, when the message flow don't process the message,the queue's input count does not decrease.

thank you for your reply.
fatherjack
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

lcl3977 wrote:

Do you mean how many instances are running because that will be whatever you specified when you deployed won't it? Or do you mean how many are actively processing a message at any given time?
lcl3977
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

fatherjack wrote:
lcl3977 wrote:

Do you mean how many instances are running because that will be whatever you specified when you deployed won't it? Or do you mean how many are actively processing a message at any given time?

I want to know how many instances are actively processing message at any given time.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You can get this information from the Broker administrative tooling - the CMP API, the Toolkit, the Broker Explorer and etc.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN YOUR FLOW.

Broker 6.1 and later will let you determine the specific number of additional instances that a given node can have - not just the entire flow. This will allow you to configure the HTTPInput node to have 200 threads (for example) and the MQInput node to have 200 threads, independently of each other. If you just put the additional instances of the flow to 400, then either input node could use all threads and leave the other one without any.
fatherjack
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

mqjeff wrote:
You can get this information from ..... the Toolkit

How?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » how many message flow instance is running currently.
Jump to: