ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » MQ FTE Questions

MQ FTE Questions « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
JKulcyk
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: MQ FTE Questions Reply with quote

Novice

A couple of (hopefully) quick questions on FTE:

1. MQV7 comes with "Server File Transfer" and "Client File Transfer" options, but those need MQ FTE to work, correct? I need the coordination QM, agent QM, and command QM code that comes with FTE to actually do the file transfers, correct?

2. MQ has demo versions to download. Is there a demo version of FTE available to download? I did not see it on the IBM site.

Thanks.
-John
PeteVerdon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi John,

It gets a bit confusing because there are two separate file transfer solutions here. The last few major versions of MQ have included a "file transfer application" which originally started life as a simple demo. Due to the customer need for file transfer (which eventually led to the FTE project being set up) this demo-derived MQ solution got promoted rather more heavily than it probably deserved. I don't recognise the terms "Server File Transfer" and "Client File Transfer" specifically, but I'm 99% certain that what you're looking at is the old MQ File Transfer Application demo. It's still included in MQ 7 but it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to pull it in a future version.

FTE is entirely independent of the above application. If you want to use the old app you can do so without FTE, but it's not designed as a robust solution and it is no longer being developed.

I know that hooks for a "try before buy" demo version of FTE have been written, but at the moment the decision to release such a version has not been made. Watch this space...

Pete
JKulcyk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Pete,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it appears that what I was looking at was the File Transfer Application, described as "A graphical user application to send and receive files using WebSphere MQ" in the install panel. Not to be confused with the graphical file transfer components of the MQ File Transfer Edition. Good head fake.

We already have an MQ network set up with Windows, Linux and z/OS queue managers. Probably close to a dozen each of Windows and Linux. Assuming I want to be able to FTE a file from any machine to any other machine, do I need a license of FTE on each machine? Do I only need it for the intermediate Coordination/Command/Agent QM's? Does it replace the MQ license we have now on the machine, or is it in addition to the installed MQ license?

From what I can find in the announcement letter, it looks like FTE comes with a full version of an MQ server.

Reading the manual, it looks like there is both a server and a client version. I can't tell from the announcement letter if they are different products or is it just the way the code is installed? Am I able to transfer files between two machines using a third machine without a QM, using MQ explorer or some other code?

Thanks for your help, sorry for all the questions. I'll have to try tracking down our IBM rep also, but I'm not sure he'll have the detailed answers I'm looking for. I was hoping to have a proof of concept set up by end of year to plan for installs in 2010 but that appears to be increasingly more challenging.

-John
PeteVerdon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

To read or write a file on a machine, that machine must have an FTE Agent installed. This is the code that actually accesses the filesystem. Each agent will require a license. Agents are licensed separately from queue managers; FTE is a separate product to MQ. You do not need a queue manager on the same machine as every agent; agents can connect to their queue manager over TCP, and many agents can share a single queue manager.

The easiest way to explain the "client" / "server" distinction is to point to this blog post: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/pete_fte/entry/clients_and_servers46 .

The "server" version of FTE does ship with one queue manager license, as you say. If you don't need this, I believe there is another package without the MQ, marketed as an "upgrade". I'm a bit hazy on these aspects as I just help make the thing, I don't sell it

You can use machine A to control a transfer from machine B to machine C. Machine A need not have a queue manager or an agent, merely a copy of the "remote tools". The "remote tools" package contains command line programs, Apache Ant with special FTE tasks available, and a plugin that adds the FTE GUI to the MQ explorer. You can use the standalone Explorer supportpac if you don't want an MQ on machine A. The remote tools package I believe is licensed for as many copies as you like, wherever you like.

I hope this is reasonably clear. The distributed design of FTE doesn't always make it easy to explain.

Pete

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » MQ FTE Questions
Jump to: