ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Urgent: Can we install WebSphere MQ V6.0 on Windows 2008?

Urgent: Can we install WebSphere MQ V6.0 on Windows 2008? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jolonm
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Urgent: Can we install WebSphere MQ V6.0 on Windows 2008? Reply with quote

Apprentice

We came to know that WebSphere MQ V6.0 can not be installed on Windows 2008. The supported version to install on Windows 2008 is V7.0.

The System Requirement document says that Windows 2000 is required for V6.0. i think this is minimum requirement and We should be able to install V6.0 on Windows 2008.

Have anybody exprianced this and installed V6.0 on Windows 2008? Have you faced any issue on Windows 2008.
Do we need to install V7.0 if we want to go with Windows 2008?

Thanks.

Last edited by jolonm on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Butcher
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

do you want to build you rproduction on "it works for me, but maybe not for you"? i would ask IBM for that.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent: Can we install WebSphere MQ V6.0 on Windows 200 Reply with quote

Jedi Council

jolonm wrote:
...We should be able to unstall V6.0 on Windows 2008...

Why do you think that? What is it in the documentation that makes you think that? Even though I looked closely, and read between the lines, I did not see the tiniest hint of that - IBM says not (and as the vendor, they should know) or it would be in the OS list.

Please note the following, from the Quick Beginnings for Windows, straight from the V7 Info Centre:

Quote:
Operating systems for WebSphere® MQ for Windows® in the server environment.

WebSphere MQ requires one of the following operating systems:

Microsoft® Windows Server 2003. This can be one of the following products:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (Service Pack 1 or later)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (Service Pack 1 or later)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition (Service Pack 1 or later)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition (Service Pack 1 or later)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (Service Pack 1 or later)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (Service Pack 1 or later)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition (Service Pack 1 or later)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition (Service Pack 1 or later)

Microsoft Windows XP Professional. This can be either of the following products:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2 or later)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Microsoft Windows Vista. This can be one of the following products:

Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Business x64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise x64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition

Microsoft Windows Server 2008. This can be one of the following products:

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition
Microsoft Windows Server HPC 2008
Microsoft Windows Server Web 2008
Microsoft Windows Server Storage 2008
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Datacenter x64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Server Web 2008 x64
Microsoft Windows Server Storage 2008 x64
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008 x64 for small businesses
Microsoft Windows Essential Business Server 2008 x64 for medium-sized businesses
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems

jolonm
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

The list you gave is for V7. i checked the same for V6. For V6 the W2000 is listed. i agree with you that if W2008 will not supported for V6, IBM will definitely point this out. it is not pointed. However, i just wanted to check that if any of you have ever installed V6 on W2008 and faced any issue due to OS.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

jolonm wrote:
...i agree with you that if W2008 will not supported for V6, IBM will definitely point this out. it is not pointed...

Really ? So you think as IBM do not explicitly list what it cannot be installed on, it must be OK on those unlisted platforms?

I must put my Windows installation media in my Linux box, I mean, Linux isn't explicitly mentioned in the QB for Windows, so I think it will work...
manicminer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

jolonm wrote:
However, i just wanted to check that if any of you have ever installed V6 on W2008 and faced any issue due to OS.

This would come back to Mr Butcher's question. Are you intending to run this server in production, do you ever expect to get support from IBM on this install?

If you want to run in production, and if you want IBM to support you, you MUST install it only on a system that meets the requirements as listed for V6.

As you have noted 2008 is NOT listed as a supported install environment for V6, if you do manage to get it installed, and then try and phone IBM for support when you have a production problem, you won't get support because it is not designed to work on that platform.

I'm a Linux person, but I believe that you will run into issues as 2008 is like Vista as Vista is explicitly not supported for V6:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg27006266

"Note 9: WebSphere MQ Client V6.0.2.1 or later required (Server is not supported). "

I think that UAC will cause you problems as will fundamental changes in the underlying architecture.
jolonm
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thank you very much Mr. manicminer
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Although running MQ on an unsupported o/s may seem to work, there are significant risks. You/your management needs to understand the risks.

Not supported means that if you have problems, IBMs response will likely be "upgrade to a supported o/s, and call back if the problem persists."

Not supported means no corrective service, and no preventive maintenance. Additionally, not supported means that you might lose messages.

Running an unsupported version of MQ, like v5.3 for example, means the same risks.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

bruce2359 wrote:
Although running MQ on an unsupported o/s may seem to work, there are significant risks. You/your management needs to understand the risks.

Not supported means that if you have problems, IBMs response will likely be "upgrade to a supported o/s, and call back if the problem persists."

Not supported means no corrective service, and no preventive maintenance. Additionally, not supported means that you might lose messages.

Running an unsupported version of MQ, like v5.3 for example, means the same risks.

Beautifully said. Maybe we should put a post in the Read First forum, so it can be referred to when the subject of supported versions and platforms comes up (nearly every day).

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Urgent: Can we install WebSphere MQ V6.0 on Windows 2008?
Jump to: