ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Java / C PCF , which is better for v7 queue managers?

Java / C PCF , which is better for v7 queue managers? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Monk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Java / C PCF , which is better for v7 queue managers? Reply with quote

Master

Hi All,

I would like to know which language is better to use when writing a administration utilty using PCF.
Java or C?

Second question.
Does Java PCF supports creation of topics on V7 queue managers.?

I found very little documentation for java as compared to C. So i was thinking of writing the admin utility in C.

Other important factor is , my admin utlity is going to be slightly complex, So i will need a good reference on Java PCF.

Anywhere i can find samples for java PCF?.

Thanks.
manicminer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Java & PCF admin utility... that would be the MQ Explorer then? (which is available as a support pac download now).

Any reason for not using that?

If it lacks particular features then you can write a plug-in to add them and I'm sure the MQ team would be interested in enhancements that you might want to the tool.

PCF support in Java is now built in to MQ v7 Java client, so I would recommend that as it will be much easier to use than writing PCF using the C client because there are lots of helper classes.

Examples were included with the old PCF java support pac, so go look that up. The V7 java api should be very similar.
Monk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I m writing a Web application to do all the MQ admin stuff...
so i dont have to distribute the explorer to all my clients..
plus i want a central point to control security and my MQ network.

Why hasn't IBM come out with a web based tool for MQ admins..

But then again..my requirements are related to the heavy process followed..
that..is i have one person alone just to promote my queue manager objects from dev to prod..and so on...

hence this tool/app...
manicminer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Monk wrote:
Why hasn't IBM come out with a web based tool for MQ admins..

Couldn't comment on why not, I don't work for IBM.

Often in my experience web interfaces to deal with managing large data sets can be difficult to implement well, not impossible but for example managing 5000+ queues in a web page might not be easy.

It also introduces the "overhead" of running a web application somewhere, which in some cases is less preferable to running clients, you need to secure that web app as well as your MQ.

When managing many servers in overlapping sets it can also be easier to have a few client side apps connecting to the many servers that particular client requires, rather than configuring one web server which connects to all queue managers.

In my opinion 1 admin user controlling many queue managers on multiple machines - client side admin program makes sense. For many users all trying to access 1 machine and configure it - web admin makes sense.

Having said all that I would still recommend using the PCF support in the MQ Java classes (in MQ7 Java client), it is really easy.

Edit: see the MS0B support pac for examples of PCF in java, which should be very similar to what you need to write using the MQ7 client.

Edit again: In my experience most MQ admin scenarios are 1 admin with many queue managers and machines to look after, I guess that would be why IBM has a client side solution as I think it is a better fit with that admin model.
fschofer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Hi,

support pack mo71 has a web interface, but read-only atm.

Quote:
MO71 can be configured to listen for connections from browsers and is capable of returning the information about the configured queue managers as web pages. Currently this information is only read-only, no support is provided for issuing commands other than display.

Greetings
Frank

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Java / C PCF , which is better for v7 queue managers?
Jump to: