ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQ Performance Message Max Size

MQ Performance Message Max Size « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
anveshita
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: MQ Performance Message Max Size Reply with quote

Master

My appliation connects to a queue in client mode to read the messages out. The channel I use is defined with 4MB default for the max message length. If it is changed to 100 MB,How will the performance of my client application gets affected? I do not get 100 MB messages all the time, 99.9% of the time it is less than 4 MB.
I perosnally find it should not, but do not know how to state this for sure without testing the hardway. Please let me know your input
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

The 100meg maximum message length attribute has no impact on the size of the message. So there will be no performance issues for 4k mesages.
anveshita
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Quote:
The 100meg maximum message length attribute has no impact on the size of the message.

Hmm. I thought the message size varibale of the channel dictates how big the message read by a client could be. Other wise the client would get MQRC_DATA_LENGTH_ERROR 2010.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

If the channel has a max message size of 100MB, then anything < 100MB is going to sail up/down it with no issues - but you can't fit a quart into a pint pot! In other words, if you try and get a 100MB message down a 4MB pipe, it aint gonnna happen, but if you try and get a 4MB message down a 100MB pipe, it aint gonna touch the sides.

There is of course the aspect that if you do not allocate a big enough buffer for the larger messages it'll fail, but that can always be got round by the old trick of get with 0 length buffer, read the message length returned in the fail, and then do another get with the correct length buffer. Personally I wouldn't do that these days, memory's cheap.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Max message length specifies only the maximum size of a message the channel can send/recieve, not the size of a message.

Similarly, the max msg length queue attribute specifies the maximum length of a message that can be successfully put to a queue, not the length of a message.
hildobiersma
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBM Hursley have informed me (this was several years ago) that there's no performance impact of the configured maximum message size for queues and channels, but there *is* a performance impact for the buffer size specified when doing an MQGET to read messages. So specify a size that's large enough, and optionally retry with a larger buffer, but don't specify an MQGET buffer size of 10MB if your messages are going to be 20K.
kevinf2349
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

hildobiersma wrote:
So specify a size that's large enough, and optionally retry with a larger buffer, but don't specify an MQGET buffer size of 10MB if your messages are going to be 20K.

I must be missing something here.

If your buffer is 10Mb and you get a 20K message only 20K is retrieved so why would that lead to a performance issue?

Of course if you clear the 10Mb buffer everytime you have to go get a message then performance will be impacted but that really isn't an MQ issue, that is just lazy programming
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

kevinf2349 wrote:
...If your buffer is 10Mb and you get a 20K message only 20K is retrieved so why would that lead to a performance issue?...

Not being a developer, so this is stab in the dark, but if you have reserved a large amount of memory that will be unused, that is not going to be available to anything else, and so could impact [b]total[/i] performance on the box. Agreed it's not a WMQ issue, but could be if it's sub-system affecting.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You can do a MQGET with a buffer size that is OK for the majority of messages, and if you get a MQRC of 2080 (Truncated Message Failure), you examine the MQMD's message length and allocate a buffer large enough for the entire message, then repeat the MQGET (since it won't have been removed from the queue).

You should really use match on MQMD.msgid for the second attempt to make sure you are looking at the same message. To avoid the need for this you can MQINQ on the queue's max message length but then you are back to using a largest buffer all the time.

Some people prefer to do a MQGET with a zero length buffer then repeat the MQGET (as described above) to make the code path the same each time.
Mr Butcher
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

it always depends what you are trying to optimize. if you are looking for storage usage, then, yes, this double mqget may be an option. there are optimizes algorithms, e.g. start with 0k mqget, allocate storage what is needed for first message and mqget that message. then mqget second message with buffer already alocated for first message. if it fits - ok. if not, get bigger buffer and so on. just a sample.

if you are trying to optimize for throughput and / or cpu, that double get may not be an option, e.g. if you have a high message load and need to process several hundreds of messages per second.

so it always depends.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

In-flight sizing of buffers by applications is possible, but imposes additional MQI calls for every MQGET.

This, like most other things in life, is a trade-off.

Two other options, depending...

If you have only 1k messages and 100meg messages destined for the same application, create two versions of the app - one big buffer, one small buffer.

If the messages vary from 1k through 100meg, then live with the overallocation of memory in one big buffer.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

bruce2359 wrote:
In-flight sizing of buffers by applications is possible, but imposes additional MQI calls for every MQGET.

Not every MQGET if the first MQGET uses a buffer size designed to cover the most commonly occuring message sizes.

4 MB would seem a good choice since so many queues end up with this as their max message size by default.

Or this could be an external referenced parameter to allow tuning without creating multiple code versions.
sumit
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

zpat wrote:
4 MB would seem a good choice since so many queues end up with this as their max message size by default.

But not when...
bruce2359 wrote:
If the messages vary from 1k through 100meg, then live with the overallocation of memory in one big buffer.

It higly depends the way application has been designed and the expected length of mesage it is going to generate.
Different scenario -> different approach.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

sumit wrote:
zpat wrote:

But not when...
bruce2359 wrote:

It higly depends the way application has been designed and the expected length of mesage it is going to generate.

Circular argument...if 99% of your messages will be 4KB, and 1% will be 4MB, but you don't know when the larger messages will arrive, allocate the smaller buffer by default, but include the necessary trap logic to catch it and do another get with the increased buffer size. If 99% of messages are 4MB, and only 1% will be 4KB, but you don't know when the smaller messages will arrive, allocate the larger buffer and don't bother allocating a smaller buffer. If your messages are all sizes in between, then find one of the methods that is suitable for the frequency of the messages, and their size.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:

Exactly.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQ Performance Message Max Size
Jump to: