ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Coordination QMGR not seeing Client Agents.

Coordination QMGR not seeing Client Agents. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
kodiakk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Coordination QMGR not seeing Client Agents. Reply with quote

Acolyte

I'm in the process of setting up MQ FTE between 2 windows servers. My coordination qmgr is on an MQ V7 server (as it should be) and my client is on MQV6. I've established a working SDR/RCVR channel pair between the qmgrs, so some form of connectivity DOES exist.
When I perform a "ftelistagents" command on the coordination qmgr, I see the local agent. When I do the same thing on the client system/qmgr, I see the agent that is local to the coordination qmgr, but NOT the agent that is local to that system/qmgr.
Basically, it seems that there is an issue getting my coordination qmgr to recognize my client qmgr and its associated agent.
I'm trying to use the REDBOOK SG24-7760-00, but it's a bit lacking on troubleshooting.
Any advice or direction on this would be great.

Thanks!
kodiakk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Quick Update. Reply with quote

Acolyte

One quick update, here... I have now managed to get a successful transmission via the COMMAND LINE processor, but I am still unable to do so via the GUI. The ONLY agent I am able to see via the GUI is the one local to the coordination queue manager.
When I execute the command via the command line processor, I can actually SEE the activity in the GUI's TRANSFER LOG... I just can't seem to use the GUI to make the transfer start or set up a template.

Thanks!
RichCumbers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Coordination QMGR not seeing Client Agents. Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Kodiakk,

There are a couple of things that could be a problem here.

Firstly your SDR/RCVR channel pair, what is the name of the queue that you are using as the XMITQ on the MQ V6 queue manager? This has to be the same name as the destination queue manager for the Agent to publish it's existence to the Coordination Queue Manager.

Does your username on the V6 Queue manager box have authority to publish messages on the V7 queue manager?

Cheers

Rich
kodiakk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks, Rich.
It may very well be an authorities issue. I saw that the ID on the system where I'm having issues is different from another system where everything went very, very, smoothly (one is lowercase, and the other is uppercase... verbiage is the same).
The queue definitions seem to be just fine, everything matches as you stated below.
I'll have to work with some of the SYS-admins we have around here in order to get the ID issues hammered out.

Thanks!
kodiakk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Is there a way to MANUALLY make the Explorer see the agents on a remote system? Whenever I do a "ftelistagents", this system never shows up, even if I do it on the system where the agent resides. I can see other agents on other systems, including the coordination queue manager agent and other remote agents. Command line transfers work fine, and I can see the transfer in the Transfer Log just like any other, but the GUI simply won't acknowledge the agent in any other way.

Frustrated...
PeteVerdon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

A little explanation of how this works under the bonnet might help...

Both the agent list in the GUI and fteListAgents work off the same set of retained publications on the coordination queue manager. As long as the command or GUI can connect to the coord QM, which system you run them on will make no difference. The fact that you can see some agents shows that the GUI and fteListAgents are connecting properly to the coord QM - all is apparently well on this side.

So, where do these retained publications come from? They're published by the agent concerned when it's created, and also whenever it starts up (republishing a retained pub that already exists has no effect). It is this part of the process that has apparently failed.

The authority issue that Rich mentioned is a strong possibility - see this page for some info about it: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.wmqfte.admin.doc/log_authority.htm . Unfortunately the MQ security model works best if you have uniform userids everywhere, which is often not the case - it's a longstanding suboptimality of the product and not something we can do much about from the FTE side.

A useful troubleshooting step in a non-production test system is to temporarily turn off the publish/subscribe engine in the coordination queue manager. Do this by changing the pub/sub mode QM property to "compatibility" in the GUI (PSMODE property if you prefer mqsc). Then start the problem agent again and browse the SYSTEM.FTE queue on the coord QM. You should see an RFH message requesting publication. If you see no such message you almost certainly have a transmission problem - check DLQs and transmission queues on the agent QM. If you do see the message, look in its properties for the user ID associated with it. It is this userID that needs authority to perform the publish.

Have a look in the agent logs as well if you haven't already; in many (but not all) cases a v7.0.1 agent will be able to obtain and log at least minimal information about these problems.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Coordination QMGR not seeing Client Agents.
Jump to: