ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » documentation

documentation « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
enna
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: documentation Reply with quote

Is there a separate manual for FTE ?
I would like to to find out if I can start processing the incoming file before it has been completely arrived. I can then overlap sending and receiving processing for large files (10G or more) ? I undersatnd there will be integrety problem if the file transfer never completed succesfully but that is another. issue.
Thx
RichCumbers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi

There is an IBM Infocenter here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/index.jsp

Is that of any use?

Cheers

Rich
enna
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich
However I could not find from that info centre centre whether I can start processing the file before it is completely arrived.
Thanks
RichCumbers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

enna wrote:

However I could not find from that info centre centre whether I can start processing the file before it is completely arrived.
Thanks

Hi Enna,

We have not done any testing on this functionality.

Knowing what I know about the internals, we do lock files when reading/writing them with the FTE Agent. If your processing is allowed to read the file as it is being written then we cannot stop you from processing the file before the transfer has completed.

We do not guarantee the integrity of the files when this happens, we simply cannot support this mode of operation, as we are not in control of your process and cannot ensure data integrity.

Cheers

Rich
PeteVerdon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Note that when FTE writes a file at the receiving end, it writes into a temporary file and then renames it once complete. So if you're copying myBigFile.txt it will fill up myBigFile.txt.part, and then rename to myBigFile.txt after writing the final chunk of data. This is to make it easier to arrange subsequent processing to start when it sees myBigFile.txt arrive. I'm not aware of a way to turn it off (though I might have missed it).

You'd need to be aware of this rename if you intended to start processing before the transfer finishes. I am not a file I/O expert, but I would expect it to work OK on a Linux filesystem, where your program would continue to have access to the inode regardless of the file's current name. I believe this would be similar on other unices, but I have no idea what would happen on Windows (possibly you couldn't even start reading the file at all?). You'd have to be careful if your program closed and reopened its input file though.

Note that this kind of scenario is firmly outside the way FTE is intended to be used. There's no guarantee that it will work properly now (even if it appears to in simple tests) or that it will continue to work in future.

Pete

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » documentation
Jump to: