ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » WS MQFTE V7.0 combo with classic FTP in progress - Issue

WS MQFTE V7.0 combo with classic FTP in progress - Issue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I'm not disagreeing, and I completely understand about work hours and what there is time to do.

I'm just saying that I have personally experienced similar issues with IIS FTP server, outside of using WMQ FTE, and that it was not a pleasant experience for me.

Also, unfortunately, file locking problems are not unique to Windows. The NFS protocol doesn't support them, for example, and that is historically a Unix file protocol where file locks are pervasive.

The problem you'd like WMQ FTE to solve - 'is a file complete or not' - in the *general* case is almost certainly provably unsolvable. I haven't actually taken the time to write out a formal proof, but it amounts to the same problem as "did the program that is writing the file HALT" - that is, the halting problem!
Nenad_SBS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mqjeff wrote:
The problem you'd like WMQ FTE to solve - 'is a file complete or not' - in the *general* case is almost certainly provably unsolvable. I haven't actually taken the time to write out a formal proof, but it amounts to the same problem as "did the program that is writing the file HALT" - that is, the halting problem!

... please correct me if I miss something:

If this is unsolvable problem, recognized as halting or locking or whatever, (now, after this test) can I be sure that IIS FTP Server is just one and only "application" wich can result with corrupted file at the end of flow, until I take the time and try "everything", huh "everything"???, that can be used for "serving" file to MQ FTE Agent?

So, for me, next question is what for is this?

And, one more thing, so far, I can't find documented limitations (MQ FTE Documentation, manuals, etc) about this issue.

Best regards,

Nenad
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It's unsolvable in the general case, not in a specific implementation.

There's a number of different ways that it can be solved more specifically than just "is this file complete or not?". A reliable file locking mechanism, for example...

You've been given some specific recommendations on how to use WMQ FTE properly to avoid this issue - by using a small trigger file that can be transfered/created in a very short period of time.

You've been given a suggestion that using another FTP server may make it possible to do this transfer without using a trigger file.

I don't know that it's the proper role of the WMQ FTE documentation to warn users that FTP servers can do funny things, or that file locking mechanisms may not be as reliable as one thinks.
Nenad_SBS
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mqjeff wrote:
It's unsolvable in the general case, not in a specific implementation ...
A reliable file locking mechanism, for example...

I Agree (with compliments)

mqjeff wrote:
You've been given a suggestion that using another FTP server may make it possible to do this transfer without using a trigger file.

This is also ok for me.

mqjeff wrote:
I don't know that it's the proper role of the WMQ FTE documentation to warn users that FTP servers can do funny things, or that file locking mechanisms may not be as reliable as one thinks.

What is the proper role of [any SW/HW ] documentation ?

I am not familiar with an "indirect ways" for solving problems, "indirect way" is "direct path to highway" of issues and complications. (this applies only to HW/SW, including design phase, developing/coding phase, testing phase, exploatation phase, new versions and releases, and so on)

Anyway, this is the place for changing opinions and ideas, giving suggestions and looking for something already invented

Best regards,

Nenad

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » WS MQFTE V7.0 combo with classic FTP in progress - Issue
Jump to: