ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Monitoring Remote Queue Manager with Omegamon XE

Monitoring Remote Queue Manager with Omegamon XE « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
LouML
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Monitoring Remote Queue Manager with Omegamon XE Reply with quote

Partisan

We're trying to monitor a remote queue manager on a z/OS mainframe from an Unix box. Both environments are running MQ 6.0 (Unix box is 6.0.2.5 and z/OS is 6.0.2.4 I believe)

According to Appendix B in the "IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for Messaging: Websphere MQ Monitoring User's Guide", this should be a straight-forward task.

From the Unix box, I add the following to the mq.cfg file:

Code:
SET MANAGER NAME(MQQM) REMOTE(YES)
SET AGENT(169.196.10.10)

On the mainframe, they created the CLNTCONN/SVRCONN pair as follows:

Code:
DEFINE CHL(CH.MQQM.CLIENT) CHLTYPE(SVRCONN) TRPTYPE(TCP)
DEFINE CHL(CH.MQQM.CLIENT) CHLTYPE(CLNTCONN) TRPTYPE(TCP) CONNAME('169.196.10.10(1414)') QMNAME(MQQM)

They already have a listener running.

They create an AMQCLCHL.TAB file that they sent to me. I put it in the proper directory.

That's all there should be to it.

When I start the agent on the unix box, I see the following in the log:

Code:
bash-2.05$ cat unixhost_mq_1225891242.log
11/05/08 08:20:43 KMQMI115E Start time for QMgr MQQM not available, because the QMgr is not started. RC=0X8
IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for Messaging.
(c)Copyright IBM Corp., 2000,2006. All rights reserved.

11/05/08 08:20:43 KMQMI196I QMgr MQQM is inactive. Operation=MQCONN CC=0X2 RC=0X80A
SET GROUP NAME(GROUP1) DEFAULT(YES) AGGRHIST(300) RETAINHIST(120) COMMAND(YES) MSGACCESS(DESC) EVENTS(REMOVE) ACCOUNTINGINFO(REMOVE) STATISTICSINFO(REMOVE)
SET MANAGER NAME(MQQM) REMOTE(YES)
SET AGENT NAME(169.196.10.10)
SET QUEUE NAME(*) MGRNAME(MQQM) STATISTICS(YES) QDEFTYPE(PREDEFINED)
SET CHANNEL NAME(*) MGRNAME(MQQM)
PERFORM STARTMON SAMPINT(60) HISTORY(YES)
11/05/08 08:20:43 KMQMI113E Unable to connect to QMgr MQQM
11/05/08 08:20:43 KMQMI126I Will retry in one minute...
11/05/08 08:20:44 KMQMI187I Agent Successfully Connected to the server (HUB_temshub)
11/05/08 08:21:43 KMQMI196I QMgr MQQM is inactive. Operation=MQCONN CC=0X2 RC=0X80A
11/05/08 08:21:43 KMQMI113E Unable to connect to QMgr MQQM
11/05/08 08:21:43 KMQMI126I Will retry in one minute...

I can't figure out why I would get a 2059 (0X80A) reason code.

The MQQM queue manager is running and the listener is running.

I can ping 169.196.10.10 from the unix box.

The group we are trying to connect with raised a PMR a few weeks ago about this and they decided that it would not work from z/OS.

I have a PMR raised with IBM. They came back to me with the results of the previous PMR, and that was it. I said that was not a good enough reply. Why will it not work? What steps were taken to try to get it to work?

Anyway, I asked them to keep the PMR open while we tried to figure it out.

Has anyone out there tried this and got it to work?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Can you use the same agent to connect to a non-zOS remote queue manager?

Does the zOS queue manager have SYSTEM.COMMAND.INPUT as it's command server queue, instead of the default distributed SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.QUEUE?
LouML
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

mqjeff wrote:
Can you use the same agent to connect to a non-zOS remote queue manager?

Does the zOS queue manager have SYSTEM.COMMAND.INPUT as it's command server queue, instead of the default distributed SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.QUEUE?

I have not tried to see if can connect to a non-zOS remote queue manager.

It has been successfully monitoring it's local queue manager (QM.TEST) for a while now.

I use the following commands to start both instances:

./itmcmd agent -l -o QM.TEST start mq
./itmcmd agent -l -o MQQM start mq

The mainframe guys have just confirmed that the SYSTEM.COMMAND.INPUT queue exists.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Try it to see if you can connect it to a remote, non-Z queue manager.

This will isolate the problem to either "any client connection" or "a client connection to a zOS queue manager".

If it's only a zOS queue manager problem, then confirm that you can use amqscnxc to connect to the Z queue manager. They might not have the CAF... being able to ping the IP address is not the same as being able to connect to a listener.

If that works, have them try adding a QALIAS called SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.QUEUE that points to SYSTEM.COMMAND.INPUT queue.

If it's a problem with "any client connection", then you need to review the Omegamon agent setup guide to see if there are additional installation/configuration you need to do (like setting MQCHLTAB variables, or etc.) to get the agent to make an MQ Client connection.
LouML
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

mqjeff wrote:
Try it to see if you can connect it to a remote, non-Z queue manager.

This will isolate the problem to either "any client connection" or "a client connection to a zOS queue manager".

If it's only a zOS queue manager problem, then confirm that you can use amqscnxc to connect to the Z queue manager. They might not have the CAF... being able to ping the IP address is not the same as being able to connect to a listener.

If that works, have them try adding a QALIAS called SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.QUEUE that points to SYSTEM.COMMAND.INPUT queue.

If it's a problem with "any client connection", then you need to review the Omegamon agent setup guide to see if there are additional installation/configuration you need to do (like setting MQCHLTAB variables, or etc.) to get the agent to make an MQ Client connection.

Well, I just tried to connect to a remote queue manager on a Linux box in my test environment and I got the same result.

I've updated the PMR with this info and I hope to hear back from them soon.

Meanwhile, I'm poring over the Omegamon book to find any further info.

I should add that I've also tried to use the MQCHLTAB and MQSERVER env variables but those did not help. The omegamon book says to put the AMQCLCHL.TAB file in the install_dir/arch/mq/bin directory which in my case is [i]I've done.
dobba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: remote queue manager monitoring not working. Reply with quote

I am having the exact same problem (remote queue manager monitoring), but I am connecting to a remote queue manager on a distributed system, not the mainframe. Did you ever get this resolved? I also followed the seemingly straightforward steps in the doc., but I get the same error - KMQMI115E Start time for QMgr QM_BROKER1 not available, because the QMgr is not started

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: remote queue manager monitoring not working. Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dobba wrote:
I am having the exact same problem (remote queue manager monitoring),

But hopefully not the same version as in use in this 5 year old thread; hopefully a new version which has the results of the PMR mentioned here incorporated. What version are you using?
dobba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Here are the details of what I'm running:

-- ITM V7.1.3.4 (agent is running on AIX 7100-01)
-- MQ Client on the agent side is V7.5.0.0
-- MQ Server on the remote (Qmgr) host that I am connecting to is 7.0.1.8

I added the following entries to my mq.cfg fine on the agent side:

SET MANAGER NAME(QM_BROKER1) REMOTE(YES)
SET AGENT NAME(10.16.33.223)

Our MQ administrators set up the client channel, server connection channel and listener on the remote Qmgr host and gave me the AMQCLCHL.TAB file which I copied to my ITM_HOME/arch/mq/bin directory.

I turned on debug logging and I see the following error message in the agent log, which is what I *think* is the root of the problem. I see the agent trying to execute this command (presumably on the remote host):

(5149738C.033F-1:kmqcutsn.cpp,808,"UNIXGetMQMStrDateTime") cmd is [ps -efo args,etime | grep 'QM_BROKER1' | awk '/amqzxma0/ {print $4}']

Then after a few lines, it returns this:

(5149738C.0346-1:kmqclog.cpp,120,"Log::SendMessage") 03/20/13 10:30:04 KMQMI115E Start time for QMgr QM_BROKER1 not available, because the QMgr is not started. RC=0
X8

Of course when I run the above mentioned "ps" command on the remote host, it does return a start time value.

Thanks in advance for your help & advice!
LouML
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

IBM never came back with a good answer and we actually wound up dropping this. As it turned out, the mainframe wound up installiing an agent to report back to our ITM server so that took care of that.

Funny, we just recently started thinking about it again. We have some Windows MQ servers which we thought about trying this with, but haven't gotten around to actually attempting it.
dobba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll have to go down the PMR route too......I was hoping to avoid that!
colbype
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: answer Reply with quote

Novice

I have done this with I/5 and AIX so and it just uses the client connect so as long as it can connect to an MQ server which has Tivoli install on it it is very possible. Keep in mind though that it does limit the data you can get back and does not have all the functionality that the agent does. Also as far as the license for it, it cost the same so there is really no reason other then an a$$hole admin on that platform keeping you from installing the agent.

The only thing allowed for free is taking the Event Queues and turning them into alias queues to send them to a QMGR that has a Tivoli Agent.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Monitoring Remote Queue Manager with Omegamon XE
Jump to: