ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » z/OS Client Attachment Facility Licensing

z/OS Client Attachment Facility Licensing « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
belchman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: z/OS Client Attachment Facility Licensing Reply with quote

Partisan

- We have QMgrA hosted on MQ for z/OS v.6
- I checked and my QMgrACHIN log does not contain text "CSQXGIP" (hence no Client Attachment Facility aka CAF)
- I can connect from my Windows laptop (with MQServer v6 installed) using both MQ Explorer and Visual Edit using a svrconn (not named 'SYSTEM.ADMIN.SVRCONN') that is on z/OS queue manager.

Questions:

- Should this be possible if Client Attachment Facility (CAF) is not installed on z/OS?
- Should this work but we are out of licensing compliance?
- Should I take Xanax and relax?

Regards,
belchman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Well... I found part of my answer in previous post by Jeff Lowery...

"MQ Explorer doesn't require the CAF in order to manage/administer/explore a zOS qmgr.

It does need it if you want to establish a direct connection to the qmgr, instead of by way of another qmgr. (No, I don't know if ms0s will correctly detect the zOS qmgr type if it's an indirect connection).

This appears to be a question about a direct (i.e. client) connection, and therefore the zOS qmgr does need the CAF for this to function."

Question Remains: What about MQ Visual Edit?
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Given the fact that MQ V7 explictly will allow 5 client connections for admin purposes only without paying for the CAF license.
I can only think that some how on your system CAF is installed and working or someone is already paying for it.

I never understood the CAF / License at all, must be a mainframe thing to keep 'it' save from those clients...

better check with your z/os sw license person to be sure!

MQSystems Facebook page
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The mainframe CAF is superb, we use it as much as possible and it's allowed us to remove a number of distributed queue managers.

It's made our MQ topology much simpler, more reliable and I highly recommend it. We have 3500 MQ clients on our main mainframe and I never hear about any issues with them.

The overhead of messages arriving via client channels is actually slightly less than from other queue managers (as we measured it).
belchman
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

In the future we may need CAF. Right now we use the concentrator (gateway) approach.

I am just trying to figure out if we have CAF installed here and, if not, why do some things work that I would consider clients (like MQ Visual Edit).

This all came to the forefront when I I was reading about MQ v7 on z/OS and the paper was talking about a limit of 5 administration client connects to z/OS MQ and they must be over SYSTEM.ADMIN.SVRCONN.

If I can currently do this against z/OS MQ v6 without CAF, I question if IBM is limiting client conns in v7 to manufacture a marketing opportunity.

My next stop is 1) MF Tech Svcs and 2) IBM sales rep

B
belchman
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I am an idiot, but lets keep that between us...

My statement "I checked and my QMgrACHIN log does not contain text "CSQXGIP" (hence no Client Attachment Facility aka CAF)" was false...

I was checking the daggone MSTR log.
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

belchman wrote:
I am an idiot, but lets keep that between us...

My statement "I checked and my QMgrACHIN log does not contain text "CSQXGIP" (hence no Client Attachment Facility aka CAF)" was false...

I was checking the daggone MSTR log.

just go to step 2) I am sure the IBM sales rep will be happy to collect your money twice

MQSystems Facebook page
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

fyi MQ 7 allows up to 5 free MQ client connections without requiring CAF to be installed. Can't remember if that's per QM or something at the system level.
markt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

per qm.

actually it's 5 for MQ's admin channel, and a further 5 for message broker's config mgr connection. Provided, in both cases, you're using the default svrconn channel names.
jdye
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: z/OS Client Attachment Facility Licensing Reply with quote

Apprentice

I know that this is an old posting, but I was searching for info on whether or not you had to install the z/OS Client Attachment Feature on MQ7 to use the limited 5 channel connections for administration. I am in the process of installing MQ 7 on z/OS and needed to know if I need to install CAF. We are not licensed for it. I called my IBM rep yesterday and he told me 'yes', that they trusted you. So we ordered it. I read on this post that you do not have to have the CAF installed. What is the correct answer, need to install it or not?

Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

If you intend to have WMQ client-bindings type apps connect to z/OS qmgrs you need CAF.

At last read, CAF remains a licensed product. IBM and some other vendors view mainframers as adults, and expect adult behavior - like only installing and using products for which you are licensed.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: z/OS Client Attachment Facility Licensing Reply with quote

Poobah

jdye wrote:
I know that this is an old posting, but I was searching for info on whether or not you had to install the z/OS Client Attachment Feature on MQ7 to use the limited 5 channel connections for administration.

If you only need up to 5 concurrent client channels AND they are to be used for MQExplorer or the ToolKit -only- AND you are going to use the default svrconn channel names, then no CAF is needed in MQ 7.0. I don't know this from personal experience, since we have the CAF here, but that is my understanding from the MQ Conferance and confirmed here by markt, who knows.
jdye
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: z/OS Client Attachment Facility Licensing Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks Peter.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » z/OS Client Attachment Facility Licensing
Jump to: