ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ V6 Queue Statistics

MQ V6 Queue Statistics « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jgwheeler
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: MQ V6 Queue Statistics Reply with quote

In taking a look at the Queue Statistics messages generated with MQ V6, I have noticed a discrepency with the GetCount and GetBytes parameters. It appears that these parameters are not being populated properly in the event that a particular queue is open for input the entire duration of the Statistics Interval that is set. Looking at the corresponding PutCount and PutBytes parameters, I can see that messages are being sent to a queue, however the GetCount and GetBytes parameters do not reflect the fact that the messages have actually been successfully read. In cases in which a queue is not continuously open for input, the Get parameters are updated as expected.

Has anyone else noticed similar behavior? If not, are there any suggestions on what I might be missing?

Thanks
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Do you see the current depth decrease during the interval?

Maybe, even though the queue is open for input, and messages have been PUT, they haven't been committed or GOT.
jgwheeler
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The messages are being consumed as quickly as they are being written, so the current depth remains low, 0 or 1. Incidentally, I have also noticed that the corresponding QMaxDepth parameter is always one, so if messages were being read but not committed, I would expect that parameter value to be higher. Also, the ExpiredMsgCount and PurgeCount are set to zero and the LastGetTime matches the LastPutTime on the queue.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Are the messages non-persistent?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I think Jeff is going down the same path I am.

Its a new "feature" in MQ 6.0. If a non persistent message is put on a queue that has an outstanding MQGET with wait with no syncpoint, the message is passed in memory to the getter, bypassing the logic that ups the Get Count.

A feature for performance, yes. A contact admin bug for accounting purposes. I opened a PMR. They said it will not be changed anytime soon, if ever.

We were scratching our heads the day after we upgraded our z/OS QM to 6.0 and saw several queues' GET counts drop to zero, when we knew there was 1000s of messages zooming thru every hour.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
I think Jeff is going down the same path I am.

I'd say "following in your footsteps".

I was just guessing that this performance enhancement would prevent deq from being updated.

You've apparently confirmed it, and been told "working as designed".
markt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

I think that Peter's issue was only for z/OS, while the stats messages are only on Distributed. (MQ on Distributed has had "put-to-waiting-getter" for more than one release, and it does it for more than just NP messages.)
jgwheeler
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterPotkay wrote:
Its a new "feature" in MQ 6.0. If a non persistent message is put on a queue that has an outstanding MQGET with wait with no syncpoint, the message is passed in memory to the getter, bypassing the logic that ups the Get Count.

I don't believe that this is the case in my situation. There is another parameter with Queue Statistics called NonQueuedMsgCount. According to the manual, NonQueuedMsgCount represents, "The number of messages that bypassed the queue and were transferred directly to a waiting application." This value is also showing up as zero.

Looks like I will be opening a PMR. Certainly let me know if you have any other thoughts or ideas. I will keep you posted.
KeeferG
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I just wanted to make clear that Queue avoidance is not new and has been in the product for a very long time. It is referenced in several 5.3 performance reports.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ V6 Queue Statistics
Jump to: