ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » starting and stopping MQSeries from command line on W2K

starting and stopping MQSeries from command line on W2K « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jhalstead
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: starting and stopping MQSeries from command line on W2K Reply with quote

Master

Having a problem simply stopping and starting the MQSeries v5.2 CSD04 on W2K, reason for this is to create batch files for backup time.

Anyway all works fine when I use the MQSeries Explorer or Services.

However if I use endmqm at the command line and then strmqm the qmgr comes up however the channel initiator does not start (it doesn;t start automatically, it doesn't start if I request from the services, it doesn't start if I issue start chinit from runmqsc)....

THe SYSTEM.CHANNEL.INITQ does have an open input process though and as this is a non shareable system queue this is likely the cause...
As far as I know there is no way of stoping the channel initiator from the command line, is this the case?

Anyway the following reason/return codes are given:
When trying to start chinit from runmqsc:
"AMQ9509: Program cannor open queue manager object"
When trying to start from the MQSeries services:
"The service coul dnot be started. The process has terminated with return code 20. (AMQ4128).

Any ideas how I can successfully start and stop a queue manager on W2K using the command line?

Thanks

Jamie
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Jamie,
my (educated) guess is that the channel initiator is not ending, when you stop the queue manager. The chinit opens the SYSTEM.CHANNEL.INITQ in exclusive mode, which explains why any attempt to start a second instance results in the 20 returncode (MQRC=2042 should show up in AMQERR01.LOG).
Please verify that your runmqchi.exe process has ended before you restart the queue manager and channel initiator.
Now, the question remains, why it doesn't end, when you shut down the queue manager....
HTH,
Stefan
jhalstead
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Thanks, this is an odd one though...

I've tried the same steps on v5.2 CSD01 on another system and it closes the channel initiator just fine... It may be that this was a newley installed qmgr and I've not rebooted yet ... you know what windows is like! However if anyone has had a similar problem please let me know probable causes.

Cheers

Jamie
jhalstead
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Looks like this is a problem with the services console reporting. When I do my endmqm & endmqlsr it definately stops the channel initiator and listener. When I bring the qmgr back up the listner and channel initiator are automatically started and I successfully get channels being triggered that go to running status. However the services console still tells me that the channel initiator and listner are stopped... Similarly the MQSeries alert monitor also tells me this is a problem. Does this ring any bells with you guys?

Thanks

Jamie
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I had the same problem today. After stopping the QM and starting it again, the channel initiator would not start and kept throwing this error.

I saw that the SYSTEM.CHANNEL.INITQ had an IPROCS of 1 though, which indicated someone had it open still. And the 2042 errors that Stefan was talking abou were showing up in my error logs.

So I GET_DISABLED the SYSTEM.CHANNEL.INITQ. The IPROCS went to 0.

Then I tried to start up the Channel Initiator again and it started.
meekings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Isn't amqmdain the preferred method for starting/stopping queue managers via the command line on Windows these days? Maybe this would work better?
nimconsult
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

meekings is right.

On Windows you should preferably start and stop the queue manager using:

Code:
amqmdain start <qmgr>

and

Code:
amqmdain stop <qmgr>

instead of strmqm and endmqm.

Using amqmdain is equivalent to using the MQ Services snap-in, and will start the associated services set to "automatic" start.

Read the system administration guide for more information.

Nicolas

NIMCONSULT Software Architecture Services (Belgium)
http://www.nimconsult.be

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » starting and stopping MQSeries from command line on W2K
Jump to: