ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Telemetry / Low Latency Messaging / Everyplace » MQ filters

MQ filters « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Maloum
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: MQ filters Reply with quote

Hi All
i m a new to MQ we need to implement a filter that extract messages from queu regarding certain conditons. but i dont know where i can set up those filters . we are using dotnet 2.0 . can any one suggest some thing please ?

Thanks
Moncef
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Firstly, are you really using MQ Everyplace or have you posted this in the wrong forum?

Secondly, assuming you're using the base product it only really allows for messages to be retrieved by specific identity, but your post is a bit fuzzy on what you're trying to achieve. Have you seen a specific reference to an MQ feature which you're interpreted as a "filter" that you could post a link to? Or post more detail about what you're trying to do?
Maloum
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

first : i probably made a mistake by posting my quesrion in this stream ...sorry.

second:i found something about MQSeries Integrator, were you can create filters to let you check messages in a queu and take only the ones you need .
i need to filter the messages based on the content not the header (the harder dont content the datas that prmit filtring)

i think i need to install MSQI and try to learn a little bit more about it , can anyone confirm me this point please??

thanks
Moncef
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You are right. You will need to implement mqsi (or Websphere Message Broker or some similar product) to act on messages depending on content. I see it much less as filter and a lot more as content dependant routing...

Enjoy
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Okay, I think you did post this in the wrong place - don't sweat it, happens to us all, a passing moderator will fix it in time.

MQSI in now called Message Broker, it does provide significant functionality to work with messages based on content but does not display the kind of "out of box" filtering I think you mean. Developing a flow within WMB to sort messages on a queue so that they are then presented to the relevent application would be a straightforward development task, but still a development task.

WMB does not support .NET - you can access the queues of the base MQ product using .NET but the flows are in ESQL or Java (in the latest version).

I think learning a little more about the capabilities of the product and how it can best fit your needs is an excellent idea.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

NO, you do NOT need to implement WMB for this.

WMB allows for content-based filtering of SUBSCRIPTIONS, not "messages on a queue". And it's a design point to decide what information should be in the topic-hierarchy and what information should be in content-filters on the subscription.

Queues should, in general, not need to be filtered. It can be a good design pattern to implement a light-weight router, to separate different parts of an application from each other and isolate them from the rest of the enterprise.

But generally, every program that reads from a queue should be designed to process every message on a queue, and there should be a different queue for every program!
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

fjb_saper wrote:
I see it much less as filter and a lot more as content dependant routing...

Nice - wish I'd thought of that phrase.....
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

jefflowrey wrote:

WMB allows for content-based filtering of SUBSCRIPTIONS, not "messages on a queue".

It also allows for message flows with Filter nodes to segrigate messages by content, even if not possessed of topic information.

jefflowrey wrote:

Queues should, in general, not need to be filtered... generally, every program that reads from a queue should be designed to process every message on a queue

The exception that proves this rule (and it's a very good design rule) is a program that listening for a specific reply by correl id.

jefflowrey wrote:
there should be a different queue for every program!

Indeed.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Vitor wrote:
jefflowrey wrote:

WMB allows for content-based filtering of SUBSCRIPTIONS, not "messages on a queue".

It also allows for message flows with Filter nodes to segrigate messages by content, even if not possessed of topic information

Filter nodes do not allow you to cherry-pick messages off a queue based on the contents of the message.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

jefflowrey wrote:
Vitor wrote:
jefflowrey wrote:

It also allows for message flows with Filter nodes to segrigate messages by content, even if not possessed of topic information

Filter nodes do not allow you to cherry-pick messages off a queue based on the contents of the message.

Absolutely not, and it was not my intention to suggest otherwise. My point was it does allow an Input node to process all the messages off a queue, cherry pick certain of them by content to one Output node and the remainder to another destination (or destinations via further filters). This can be done even if the messages are not published.

I do accept this does mean all messages on the original input queue are read, and they are not cherry picked with unmatched messages remaining on the original queue. I did not intend to suggest anything different at any time.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Telemetry / Low Latency Messaging / Everyplace » MQ filters
Jump to: