ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ series communication with mainframe system......how can i

MQ series communication with mainframe system......how can i « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
nanda_mq
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:15 am    Post subject: MQ series communication with mainframe system......how can i Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi ,
Any body knows how to read data flowing between mainframe system in SNA(Architecture) using IBM MQseries with out installing MQseries server or client on main frame system... i am in urgent need of this so please help me out in this regard.....

thanks in advance
nanda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ward
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

If there is MQSeries messages flowing between Mainframe systems then those systems HAVE MQSeries Server installed already. Messages flow between Queue Managers no matter what the underlying protocol used is (SNA in your case).

Cheers,

Ward.
nanda_mq
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

hi ward,
what i mean to say is the machines are running on IBM main frames under SNA architecture.. the data between two system in this network are passing through SDLC protocol in the SDLC format..... i want to link my application in between and fetch the data into my machine using some method.. so please suggest me what can i use to fetch that data from the system and write into a TCP/IP format......
one of my solution i am planning is there will be a strong coupling between IBM Mainframes and IBM MQSeries and also there is a bridge called CICS bridge in IBM MQseries i think with that bridge i can fetch data from IBM mainframes system into MQ series system so any one who used this bridge please let me know more details about this CICS bridge...

If any one knows any otherway in which one can fetch data from SNA (SDLC format) to TCP/IP format just let me know......

thanks in advance...

nanda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

The easiest way for you to get data from (or send it to) the mainframe is to get MQSeries and the MQ/CICS bridge installed (unless you want to write a LU6.2 application ).

The MQAdmin will setup the queue so that when a message arrives it will trigger a CICS transaction. The MQ/CICS bridge will send the output from the transaction (if any) to the "replyto" queue & queue manager that you specified on the original request.

later
Roger...
nanda_mq
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi roger,
can u please explain me in detail (otherwise tell me where can i get more information on CICS bridge and this MQ and Mainframe integration).
If u know any other way inwhich the data from a IBm Main frame system
in SDLC protocol format to TCP/IP format....

thanx in advance
nanda
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Nanda,
maybe it's just me who doesn't understand it, but I think it would be a good point in the discussion to try to explain in a bit more detail what exactly you are trying to achieve, before we can try to provide you with possible solutions. Questions would be for example:
What are your requirements in terms of accessing mainframe date?
What are your platforms and OS levels involved (CICS/IMS a factor?)?
Do you already have an MQ infrastructure in place?
If yes, on which platforms?
Apologies in case I am missing the point.
Cheers,
Stefan
nanda_mq
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

hi Stefan Sievert ,

What are your requirements in terms of accessing mainframe date?
Basically in the whole SNA Architecture we are having some production machines which are running on openVMS and upto my knowledge there are few systems are having MQseries on it ..... on all these machines i cant insatll any client or server to fetch data (there is restriction in system). the data from this production systems will go to the communication controllers from there it will go to mainFrame server(Host machine .....
The data transfer between these systems will takes place in SDLC format...
i have to read this data from out side the network using my application and wants convert it into TCP/IP format...
Do you already have an MQ infrastructure in place?
I have MQ infrastructure in few systems only ...
If MQ infrastructure is not there on the production systems then can i use some way in which i can talk with them and get data....
another issue is tell me whether i need MQ infrastructure on those machines compulsary or not for communication or othyer wise tell me about this CICS support of MQ series i detail can io fetch data using the bridge between them....

If yes, on which platforms?
all are non windows platforms i have to use my application in windows machine and wants to fetch the data and get the SDLC data....

thanks in adavance

Cheers,
nanda
oz1ccg
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Nanda,

As I hear it you are trying to be a hacker Well that's ok as long as your auditors agree. But as I recall it SDLC and SNA is a PEER to PEER communication protocol, and therefore your applications in both ends have to know each other..

First of all, MQSeries don't have the capability of snooping SNA taffic (or any other), it can communicate with CICS and other applications using the bridges.

Am I right (might be) when i think what you realy want; was to intercept the information that are flowing between two application ? If so, No MQSeries support.....

What could be done was to make a change in the host application to deliver the right information to your application using MQSeries for transportation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zpat
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

This is an MQSeries website, so the obvious answer is to install MQ on the mainframe and the distributed platforms.

If the mainframe has SNA only and your other platform has TCP/IP only - guess what - you can't communicate.

You need to install TCP/IP on the mainframe or SNA on the other platform.

It's easy enough to install an IBM SNA product on NT or UNIX. It's easiest on NT to add Personal Comms and it's not expensive.

Now you can either write from your application to SNA (eg LU 6.2 or APPC) or write a bridge to TCP/IP.

What does the mainframe application expect? APPC or LU2 (3270).
nanda_mq
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

hi zpat,
what u said is right ....
tell me in detail abt IBM CICS bridge and how can i use and documents related to use CICS bridge....

another issue...
can u please tell me where can i get more info on LU 6.2 programming. As i told i have IBM mainframe system running in SNA Architecture... I want to catch the data flowing from terminals to higher level computers in the system.. for that tell me how can i write LU applications... tell me whether i have to write an application on the mainframe machine and also an another application on my PC which talks and get data ....

suggest me how can i do this and tell me where can i get more info on how to write applications using LU 6.2 API...........

thanks in advance....
nanda
zpat
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I can't give huge details - I have a job to do! There are plenty of IBM manuals online (and don't forget redbooks).

The MQ-CICS bridge is for linking MQ to 3270 terminal transactions (ie without making them MQ enabled as such in the code).

If you want to develop LU6.2 programs, use the higher level API called CPI-C. It's fairly easy to code - on the mainframe side you could use the CICS APPC or CPI-C interface, or even write a CPIC REXX program which is simple to code. The IBM manuals have examples.

Depends what languages you like to use. On my desk I have a book called "CPI-C programming in C" - ISBN 0-07-911733-3.

HOWEVER - the point is the MQSeries ELIMINATES the need to code LU 6.2 applications. It will use a LU 6.2 connection of course but you don't have to code anything. Now - are you going to install MQ on both systems or not?
nanda_mq
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

hi pat,
i dont want to install MQ on mainframe system and that is old machine having memory restrictions i cant install any thing on that only from out side i have to do this task... other wise i can write a small application that side and have to get info... so suggest me which is better...
using MQ CICS bridge using LU 6.2 connection or writing an application of LU connection using CPI-C.... just suugest me in this............

if i want to use CICS bridge whether i have to install any thing on Mainframe system or not.....

thanks in advance
nanda
nanda_mq
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi pat,
can u please help me out in suggesting the best way to proceed with my project .....

please help me i am in urgent need

thanx in advance
nanda
oz1ccg
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hi nanda,

as far as I see the challange there are at least three ways:
- install MQ on all client-machines in some way, and change the applications... big job.

- install MQ on the mainframe, and create some changes in the mainframs applications to pass the information to MQSeries.. big job. By the way isn't there some auditor functions or exits in the mainframe applications you can use ? If so it's the best way, I think

- invest in a network analyzer, might be possible to learn it to deliver data thru an API, and then you could pass the data on to MQSeries.. I don't think that your auditors would like some spy on the network

Personally I think the best way would be the one changing the mainframe application, because normally the mainframe environment is good documentated, and therefore it should be a manageble job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nanda_mq
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

HI,
As i told like this before it self

hi pat,
i dont want to install MQ on mainframe system and that is old machine having memory restrictions i cant install any thing on that only from out side i have to do this task... other wise i can write a small application that side and have to get info... so suggest me which is better...
using MQ CICS bridge using LU 6.2 connection or writing an application of LU connection using CPI-C.... just suugest me in this............

if i want to use CICS bridge whether i have to install any thing on Mainframe system or not.....

thanks in advance
nanda

i cannot install any thing pon those machines... only i can write some application on those system thru which i can communicate...
if u have any solution for me please let me know as soon as possible...

thanks in advance
nanda

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ series communication with mainframe system......how can i
Jump to: