ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Constantly losing connection to Queue Mngr

Constantly losing connection to Queue Mngr « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
AlexeiSkate
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,

I have both MQSeries v5.2.1 and MQSI V2.1 installed on my computer. I've manually defined a bunch of element definitions for my message set and I'm trying to check in the elements. The elements check-in process would work for one or two elements and then it would give me an error that connection to the q mngr is lost. If I wait a few minutes, it would let me check in another one or two elements and then the connection is lost again. It's a cycle of connection is working and the lost and then working and then lost...

Has anyone experienced this ? I'm wondering if there's something I haven't defined for my queue manager that is causing this problem.

thanks,
Alex
kolban
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Check the MQSeries error logs on the Windows Server hosting the configuration manager. I think you will find those in the NT Event Viewer technology. See if there are any messages at the same or similiar times as you are trying your tests.
AlexeiSkate
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My error log lists a TCP/IP return error code of 10054, meaning the "connection is reset by remote side". Does anyone have any idea why the socket connection might be constanly reset ?
kolban
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

What CSD do you have applied? I know its a lame answer but if you could, make sure you have the latest maintenance applied to BOTH MQSeries and WMQI on BOTH your client box and server box. I did a search in this forum on the error code and there was at least one hit about having applied a patch from development which may now be part of the latest CSD sets.
AlexeiSkate
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,

Can you tell me what CSD stands for and can I look it up at the IBM support site? Thanks.
CodeCraft
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

CSD is same as FP

Corrective Service Diskette (Fix Pack [Fix Pak]) originally, but now sometimes referred to as Corrective Service Distribution since they can be 160mb or more and would fit on about 100 diskettes ...

Go to:

http://www.software.ibm.com/ts/mqseries

and find MQSeries Integrator and navigate the support links to find the latest maintenance available.

The actual link is here:

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/ts/mqseries/support/summary/mqsi.html

but you should start with the first one and 'learn' your way around because the location for the CSDs and APARs is not obvious. There's another new cludgy "All Support Downloads" link which is particularly unhelpful.

You should make an effort to become familiar with the service levels, and where to find upgrades, for Base MQ, WMQI and the underlying operating and database software as many operational problems can arise from incorrect or retrograde levels of any of the three.
mhagen
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex or anyone,

I'm seeing the same reset problem. I'm not an MQ expert and really only have the java client side view of things. Our MQ Server is administered by a separate company. From the network traces I can see the TCP connection reset flag being set by the MQ server, then I see the 2009 and 2195 error mesages in my application logs, which makes sense since the connection was just ripped out from under the app. If you've figured out why the TCP resets are occuring please let me know. We've been trying to figure it out for months now.

The MQ server is runing on Windows NT and the java client is running on Solaris and making requests across a VPN. We think we've narrowed it down to not being a VPN issue.

Thanks
-hagen
AlexeiSkate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

mhagen,

I never discovered what was wrong with my system. Someone from our network support group looked at my PC. He downloaded a new win2000 driver at the win2000 supportpac site but then I couldn't bring up my MQS application at all so he placed back my previous version of win2000 driver. After he did that, I wasn't losing connection to the Q Mngr so often anymore. I still lose connection occasionally but it was no where as frequent as before. The whole thing is a mystery to me. Sorry I can't provide much more help.

- Alex
mhagen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex
We still haven't solved it either. We have one or 2 more tricks up our sleaves though. I'll post if we find something.

-hagen
mhagen
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex
Looks like we found a fix that at least stops the symptoms. We were seeing lots of connections on the MQ server that were not showing up on the client side. We also discovered that the client was opening and closing connections continuously. We thought the client side MQ connection manager was using a fairly static pool of established connections. So we set the MQ server keepalive timeout to 5 minutes more than the client side timeout, 15 minutes and 10 minutes respectively. Now all our problems have gone away!!! We still should try to figure out why the client MQ Manager isn't notifying the MQ server when it closes the connections. And we also need to figure out why thsi was causing the problems we were seeing. But without knowing the guts of the relationship between the java MQ manager and the Windows based MQ server, this may be hard to do.

Hope the keepalive may help you,
-mike
AlexeiSkate
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Mike,

Glad to hear you've solved your connection issue. Thanks for posting your solution.

- Alex

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Constantly losing connection to Queue Mngr
Jump to: