ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Interchange Server + Adapters » SQL Server as ICS Repository

SQL Server as ICS Repository « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
voyager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: SQL Server as ICS Repository Reply with quote

Centurion

All,
Thank you very much for your help with my previou posts.
We are using ICS 4.3.0.1, WMQ 5.3, CSD07 and DB2 8.1.5 as ICS repository
in our production and development environments.

We are planning to switch to MS SQL Server 2000 for ICS repository. I would like to know
if anybody has used SQL Server for ICS repository instead of DB2. If so, are there any known
issues of using MS SQL Server as ICS repository. I appreciate very much if anybody could give me leads on this.
Also, how is IBM's support with SQL Server as ICS repository.
I appreciate very much your feedback.

Thank you very much in advace!
urs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: SQL Server as ICS Repository Reply with quote

Acolyte

[quote="voyager"],
If so, are there any known issues of using MS SQL Server as ICS repository. I appreciate very much if anybody could give me leads on this.
[/quote]

Unless you start using it you never know what would be the possible issues on your system.

In my opinion, I guess every issue would have a solution. I personally think first start with it, if you have any issues you might try posting it here.

[quote="voyager"],
Also, how is IBM's support with SQL Server as ICS repository.
I appreciate very much your feedback.
[/quote]

You can open a PMR account with IBM and they will help solve your issue incase you feel you cannot solve it yourself even after getting feedback from this site..
Let me know.

-- urs
voyager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Thank you URS,
For your polite and witty answer. But, I would like to know, if anyone has been using MS SQL Server 2000
as ICS repository and how do they rate it. Because, I am not a DB2 professional, I have difficulty
in using DB2 UDB. It works fine, but, I am not comfortable working with DB2 like taking backups, DBA activities etc.,

Thank you!
urs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Configuring the SQL Server with ICS would be one time work, which anyone could easily manage..

Coming to the performing administrative tasks with this DB would definitely require-ultra strong administrative skills over the DB's which the DB Administrators would be pleased to help you. I am guessing there would be one SQL server admin member in your group..

For comparison purposes: The SQL Server would be easily targetable when compared with DBA .. it's my personal opinion..

However, if someone has an accurate opinion about this might want to post here, so that I can learn how it is !

Thanks,
urs
urs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

In my previous post, I mean to compare SQL with DB2 UDB....

sorry about that..
voyager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Thank you URS,
for your valuable comments. I think, I will go ahead with MQ SQL as ICS repositpry.
Thank you once again!!
voyager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Remote machine Reply with quote

Centurion

Here is another question:
Can the SQL Server ICS Repository database reside on remote machine?
Thank you,
dunesand
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

To answer your first question. Yes, you can have SQL Server as your repository. I've done this for ICS 4.3 and 4.4 with no problems.

During the install for ICS SQL Server is detected and then can have the repository created there. This is assuming have the correct version and service packs for SQL Server that are required for that version of ICS.

I don't think you can have a remote repository database for ICS, but may be wrong. I'm still new to all this too.
voyager
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: SQL Server Reply with quote

Centurion

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
I was going through System Installation Guide for ICS yesterday and I found the following:
You can install SQL Server on the same system where you install ICS OR any system on the same network.
IBM suggests that you install SQL Server and ICS on different systems.

Thank you!!
dunesand
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Ahh, the ICS documentation. Good at telling you what's possible, not always so good at telling you how to do it.
voyager
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

All,
BTW, I heard that ICS is going to go away in another one year and IBM is launching new Process Server. Any ideas, please.
Thank you,
dunesand
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Process Server I think it's going to be called. ICS is so integrated into a lot of solutions at the moment though. They're on version 4.4 now, but 4.2 still seems to be popular. New software is developed all the time, but the customer can't drop everything to update all their software every couple of months.

I checked the windows installation guide, and found something that may be of use. It's not clear whether you can have a remote repository database when the database is SQL Server. See page 21 for more help...

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/websphere/integration/wbiserverexpress/library/doc/wbise44/pdf/installation_windows_22apr05.pdf

Hope that helps.
voyager
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Thank you all,
Here, take a look at the following link. Page 19, 20.

For SQL Server 7.0 and 2000, the IBM CrossWorlds system uses a Type 4 JDBC driver.

This driver communicates directly with the database management system (DBMS) without using a client DLL.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/websphere/crossworlds/library/doc/v411/system_manuals/installation_guide_windows/install_guide_windows.pdf
I hope that would help.
Thank you,

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Interchange Server + Adapters » SQL Server as ICS Repository
Jump to: