ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Application Messaging Interface

Application Messaging Interface « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
UpkarSharma
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Please let me know where to use AMI and MQI ???????
What are the major differences between the two??????
kolban
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The MQI is the original and low level API to MQSeries. It provides the classic MQCONN, MQOPEN, MQPUT, MQGET, MQCLOSE and MQDISC API calls that form the foundation of MQSeries. It is available for virtually all language bindings as well as platforms. Each of the MQI API calls can take a wide array of paramaters, many of those parameters themselves being data structures with a large number of options.

The AMI essentially provides an alternate API to MQSeries. Internally, the AMI is built upon the MQI. Where the AMI differs from the MQI is that there are usually only one or two trivial parameters to the AMI calls. These parameters name "profiles" which describe a complete set of parameters for accessing the queue manager. These profiles are built using AMI supplied GUI tooling. The end result is that the actual MQSeries codes using the AMI, can name named profiles "PAYROLL", "PURCHASE" etc etc and one person, assumed to have good MQSeries skills, can build the profile. This means that the AMI programmer is divorced from the low level details of MQSeries access and need only concern themselves with getting and putting messages ...

There is no hard-and-fast rule of when one should use the AMI and one should use the MQI. In principle, you can achieve the same thing with both. Although not tried myself, I am told that AMI has additional "assistance" for Pub/Sub functions.

Personally, I like the full control over the MQSeries API afforded by the MQI.

[ This Message was edited by: kolban on 2001-08-16 04:51 ]
prabhat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx kolban for such a nice description.
On the limitations of AMI i have discovered that you can't get access to parameters to various MQSeries objets e.g. you can't get the Queues trigger depth.Tell me if there is any way for it within AMI.

[ This Message was edited by: prabhat on 2001-08-24 00:30 ]
royr
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

The AMI is meant to be used by application programmers, who shouldn't be concerned by things like the queue's trigger depth anyway.

If your writing an administration/monitoring component specifically for MQ - you should use the MQI. If, on the other hand, your component consists mainly of business logic, and only uses MQ as a queueing mechanism, the AMI is a pretty good choice.

Also, in the AMI it's easier to use distribution lists, publish/subscribe and the MQRFH header for MQSI.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Application Messaging Interface
Jump to: